Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  ē  Community Terms of Use  ē  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  ē  Community Search  ē  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-10-2019, 01:43 PM

Default Spinning wheel of death even after 64gb upgrade ?

I havejust upgraded my system memory (late 2013 mac pro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5) to 64gb
I have a pretty large session i was a working on in pro tools 11 and it was fine but occasionally would stop and say it ran out of memory. So i ungraded to 12 the other day ..the day before the latest release. I then loaded the session in and it just started giving me the pinwheel... i decided i must need more RAM
I upgraded to 64gb and figured I'm all set. Nothing changed lol.
then i see the update and i say "ah!"
nothing changed after the update either.

I am wondering why this is happening? i have more than enough memory now no? do I have to change settings that i don't see other than buffer size etc?

i got the original session working by importing all the session data into a new session the other day but it still seems to run out of memory etc.

Thanks in advance if anyone has a clue .. i have noticed another bug ill post in a different thread unrelated to this.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Spinning wheel of death even after 64gb upgrade ?

You upgraded from how much memory?

It may be possible that a session is huge and needs the memory. How many tracks, what sample rate and what plugins (esp VI) are you running and how many instances. Jut a rough idea will help... ideas of "big session" varies wildly.

---

But assuming it's a bug: A common cause of out of memory problems is memory leaks in plugins. Its *the* cause by far. Monotonically growing memory consumption as seen by the System Usage Memory meter in Pro Tools is a common sign of this. Have that meter open as you are using Pro Tools.

If the Pro Tools memory meter is not showing high usage then suspect other programs, even a faulty web browser can chew many many GB (Chrome takes several GB doing nothing). Don't have other apps running while you try stuff here.

What is your Pro Tools disk cache set to? For now set it to "normal" (e.g. disabled).

Make sure no other programs are running

Does this happen with more than one session, occasionally corrupt sessions can trip up bad behavior. It may happen with because of the plugins in use, not because a session is corrupt, but try to see if there are patterns.

And plugins can leak memory just by being installed in Pro Tools, all those plugins are "alive" and hiding when Pro Tools starts up, they don't even need to be instantiated in a session to leak.

As with any problem start by trashing prefs.

Are all your third party plugins up to data and compatible with the version of Pro Tools you are using? Check what is actually installed, I've been blown up by old demo plugins I forgot about.

Move *all* .aaxplugin files out of their plugin folder (Library/Application\ Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins). restart Pro Tools, it will automagically put back the default Pro Tools plugins. Play with the systems like that and try to reproduce the out of memory behavior. Try with your old sessions.

If you don't see it happen, then move back the third party plugins, starting with the ones you were using. Do this a few at a time and keep testing trying to find which one(s) cause problems.

Still stuck describe here a detail list of exactly what you have done/tried (take notes), and we'll likely ask you for some technical data from macOS.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-10-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:52 PM

And if you can confirm the symptom is a spinning beachball and unresponsive app when you try to use the Pro Tools app? Or all apps/finder?

Has the system ever panic'ed (e.g. the whole computer crashes with a grey screen) or failed in any other way? What exact error messages?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You upgraded from how much memory?

It may be possible that a session is huge and needs the memory. How many tracks, what sample rate and what plugins (esp VI) are you running and how many instances. Jut a rough idea will help... ideas of "big session" varies wildly.

---

But assuming it's a bug: A common cause of out of memory problems is memory leaks in plugins. Its *the* cause by far. Monotonically growing memory consumption as seen by the System Usage Memory meter in Pro Tools is a common sign of this. Have that meter open as you are using Pro Tools.

If the Pro Tools memory meter is not showing high usage then suspect other programs, even a faulty web browser can chew many many GB (Chrome takes several GB doing nothing). Don't have other apps running while you try stuff here.

What is your Pro Tools disk cache set to? For now set it to "normal" (e.g. disabled).

Make sure no other programs are running

Does this happen with more than one session, occasionally corrupt sessions can trip up bad behavior. It may happen with because of the plugins in use, not because a session is corrupt, but try to see if there are patterns.

And plugins can leak memory just by being installed in Pro Tools, all those plugins are "alive" and hiding when Pro Tools starts up, they don't even need to be instantiated in a session to leak.

As with any problem start by trashing prefs.

Are all your third party plugins up to data and compatible with the version of Pro Tools you are using? Check what is actually installed, I've been blown up by old demo plugins I forgot about.

Move *all* .aaxplugin files out of their plugin folder (Library/Application\ Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins). restart Pro Tools, it will automagically put back the default Pro Tools plugins. Play with the systems like that and try to reproduce the out of memory behavior. Try with your old sessions.

If you don't see it happen, then move back the third party plugins, starting with the ones you were using. Do this a few at a time and keep testing trying to find which one(s) cause problems.

Still stuck describe here a detail list of exactly what you have done/tried (take notes), and we'll likely ask you for some technical data from macOS.

Thanks a lot man! I will try all of these things.. I donít have the info available at this moment because I had to leave for my gig.
I donít think my session is all that massive in my eyes lol it wonít let me make anymore tracks because it says that Iíve made the most possible for my session.. (which I got pro tools upgrade thinking that was going to fix that and it didnít ) I had to go into the files to the left and start deleting inactive tracks from the song so I could add tracks for commit etc... Iíll try to post what the session is using etc.. I have a decent UA system and use most of those as plugins with a bunch of Fabfilter stuff etc... I can do a screen shot or something...
Iíll try to trash the prefs etc and move the plugins etc and see whatís up.

Itís not doing it will all sessions just this one.
But the is the biggest session I have also.

Itís only pro tools... I can exit pro tools and use the rest of the system fine , itís just doing the spinning ball thing.

Sometimes it comes back .. sometimes it doesnít ... sometimes itís a short beach ball .. sometimes it just keeps spinning ...

I had 16gb before and now 64 so like I said I assumed it would just be ok.

Iíll post when I get in and figure some stuff out etc and have better info for you.
Thanks again for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk