Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-22-2003, 02:25 PM

Default Mach 5 -voices and other ??

I'm just debating taking the Gigastudio plunge vs mach 5 right in the box with HD 3. Depending on how happening this is, it might even make sense to purchase another process card.

The concerns with Mach 5 are:

How many voices per instance (chip)?

Since streaming won't initially be an option, how much "ram" does each instance have to load samples?

I saw that it was suggested to buy Gigastudio libraries for this but if it's not streaming, how will it handle, say, the 1 gig piano library?

Thanks
Old 06-22-2003, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Mach 5 -voices and other ??

If you decide to run Gigastudio, be prepared to let it run on a system without much else on it. Gigastudio is a very greedy program and writes code all over the registry. I tried to run on a machine with alot of other programs and it was a miserable experience. I bailed on Giga and am waiting on MAch5 although many others run Giga fine. I imagine if you designate a PC to only it, your life will be much more tolerable.I certainly lost some hair using it. I quit before it was all gone.

Jon
Old 06-22-2003, 09:37 PM

I must just have a better computer then: A Fujitsu Pentium III 1.13 Ghz computer with 512 RAM.

On this computer I have the following loaded: Windows XP Home, GigaStudio 160, Logic Audio 5.xx, Reason 2.5, Recycle, Acid, Mbox for Windows, MidiSport 8X8 SMPTE/Midi Interface, Edirol USB keyboard controller, Microsoft Office 2002 (Word, Excel, Outlook), Internet Explorer, ActiveSync for my Pocket PC, Easy CD Creator, Morrowind (game), Serious Sam (game), Madden 2002 Football, CuteFTP, Norton Systemworks, Ericsson Sync (to sync my cel phone to Outlook), Gravis Software for my game controller, Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse software, Windows Media Player 9 with DVD decoder plugin. To name a few...

I always run Logic and Giga at the SAME time on this computer.

In addition to music in the studio, I use this laptop as a composing tool on the road, to get my email, to write letters on my letterhead, prepare project budgets, surf the web and in general any of the normal (and not so normal) things you'd use a comuter for.

I think most Giga problems can be traced to bad choices for the soundcard (usually involving the use of USB cards and interfaces). If you go Giga, use PCI or PCMCIA audio interfaces. The program has been absolutely solid for me and several others I know personally. I don't think it does any more to the registry than several of the other programs on my system.

NOW having said all that, I would like to hear the answer to the original post involving MACH FIVE and RAM/Voices in lieu of streaming.

If there is a program that looks like to me one that could kick GigaStudio out of my studio, it would be MACH FIVE, especially since it is a plugin.

According to a MOTU tech I had an email exchange with, Mach 5 will import every aspect of a Giga file, including the keyswitch layout. If the filtering sounds the same as Giga, then I'm there, assuming they get their streaming thing down.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 06-23-2003, 01:34 PM

If I go with Giga it will be with one of these single rackspace turnkey systems -completely tuned to run Giga to the max -I don't want any headaches learning a PC system. They'll even install Giga and whatever options, soundcards you desire.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=41784&rd=1

I have no affiliation. They were good about getting back to me with further details and enhancements.

Now, can someone answer my original questions? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2003, 02:29 PM

So how many voices of Giga can I run on Mach 5? Does this mean instead of 3 Giga machines running complex orchestral instruments, I can simply use Protools HD and Mach 5 plugins? How many Instruments can I run on each Mach 5 plugin?
Old 06-23-2003, 02:43 PM

SO I just need one Protools HD on G5 now instead of several Gigastudio PCs?? YEAHHHHHH!!!!
Old 06-23-2003, 02:53 PM

People that are using GIGA with the immense libraries that are made for it are usually dedicating a PC to it, so whether it bothers anything else is moot. It has run effortlessly for me.

No Mac sampler will compete with Giga for the larger libraries because they simply aren't streaming...yet.