Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-30-2006, 09:03 AM

Default CPU Spikes....workaround.

OK, my main mix rig is HD, but I have a 002R PTLE on a G4 MDD DUAL 1.42 for small mixes and editorial.
I do post on these.

The LE machine, since 7.0, has been plagued with the infamous "CPU held off interupts" syndrome. Ive tried all the troubleshooting,
hardware buffer, latest CS on 7.1., removing all non Digi plus, also using DVToolkit 2.

While "fiddling around" in the settings, I inadvertandly set Protools to 1 processor. Lo and behold, I can now use more plugs before
I get the CPU spikes!!!! I tested this on a Dual 1 Gig with the same results.

Digi, READ THIS:....................................PT7 is still not optimized for 2 prcessors!!!!!!................................... ..........................
Old 05-30-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Re: CPU Spikes....workaround.

This is straight from Compatibility page in the support section. Although it talks about Power Mac G5's, the issue may be relevant in your situation.

-----
There is a known issue with low hardware buffer sizes and the multiprocessor RTAS engine of Pro Tools 7 (HD, LE, and M-Powered). Specifically at buffer sizes lower than 512, multiprocessor setups of Pro Tools can show a marked INCREASE in CPU utilization as you enable more processors. While dual processor models also exhibit this behavior somewhat, it is more noticeable with 3 or 4 processors enabled on the Power Mac Quad G5.

Digidesign is aware of the problem, and is actively working on the issue. We have run a number of tests, and while we continue to investigate a fix, our tests have turned up a few situations where this problem is likely to manifest, and a workaround for those scenarios.

At buffer sizes 512 and higher, we recommend you use the maximum number of processors. More processors will give you more cycles to run additional RTAS plug-ins and more tracks with little additional overhead from Pro Tools' management of additional processors.

We recommend the following setting for existing or new sessions that require lower buffer sizes:

1. In "Setup/Playback Engine" lower "RTAS Processors" to "2 Processors".
2. If you still see errors, one or more of the following will reduce the CPU utilization below the error threshold:
* Make some plug-ins inactive
* Make some tracks inactive
3. If errors still occur, follow the same instructions with one processor enabled

Once you are mixing, you may use all processors, and restore any inactive tracks/plug-ins. You can then increase the HW buffer size to 512 or higher to prevent errors.

We are fully engaged in this investigation and we will update our customers as we have more information.
-----

Andrew Uvarov
Old 05-31-2006, 01:15 AM

Nope, it doesnt apply.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:20 AM

I bought into the sell-rap on how I could now run twice to triple the amount of plugs... so indeed, I did away with my dual 1.8 G5 and bought me a spankin' new dualcore 2.3 G5...

This has been like 6 months down the line and still the issue has not been properly adressed...
Shame on you Digi!