Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Allenstein OctaPC(8-core) and Quadzilla(4-core) *OS Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Unplug all hard drives including any DVD/CD drives etc. Plug one known working drive into SATA port one and see if it shows up in the BIOS. If it doesn't, do this same step with the rest of the SATA ports.

Less is more during the trouble shooting process.

Shane
Hi Shane:

I have no other 'working' SATA drives, unless I purchase one specifically for this purpose. My old backup C: drive (it was working at the time) was in the case unconnected so I connected it up, and after entering setup in the BIOS, there were no drives recognized after the PCI SCSI: entry. I did it for each of the four SATA ports but to no avail. I know there's always a chance, but in reality what are the odds that my boot drive and/or my audio drive was corrupted? I have the backups of all my current session files, but one copy of the Acronis images for my boot drive is on the second partition on my C: drive (actually my E: drive). I tried to narrow it down to as few items as possible when troubleshooting, and due to the weather here I was unable to pick up my new MB - that will be on the list for tomorrow.

If I am to look at building a new machine, will the video card and remaining parts (PSU, case, etc.) be reuseable? With a new MB like the Gigabyte, I'll likely need new RAM. I guess at this point I'm trying to get a handle on how much $$ I'll have to look at for an upgrade.

<rant>It just frustrates me that I've got an old Dell that has been running for 10+ years and I've only gotten 5 years out of the Quad...not that it hasn't served me well, just thought things woudl last a little longer.</rant>

Thanks for the response Shane - hopefully things are all good once I get the new MB installed.

Cheers,
Jeff M
Old 12-17-2010, 02:02 PM

Well, well, well...my motherboard showed up today and I have it installed. I'm back up and running again. One thing I noticed with the replacement board was that it was not the ANRF version, but rather the G2NR. The main differences that I found were that this one does not have the onboard 1394, but it has onboard VGA. A few extra things in the BIOS, but after getting all the connectors connected up, and changing all my BIOS settings, I fired it up and it seems to work perfectly. I've been able to open a session or two and things seem fine. The drives are both recognized in the BIOS as well.

The fans that the fellow has installed on the 265's are the ThermalTake rather than the AMD fans that I had previous. They are far quieter than the AMDs.

So far, so good. I may search around for another spare motherboard just in case - at least I have a second set of CPUs and a spare power supply. Maybe I'l just build a second Quad...

Regards,
Jeff M
Old 12-18-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenerationM View Post
Well, well, well...my motherboard showed up today and I have it installed. I'm back up and running again. One thing I noticed with the replacement board was that it was not the ANRF version, but rather the G2NR. The main differences that I found were that this one does not have the onboard 1394, but it has onboard VGA. A few extra things in the BIOS, but after getting all the connectors connected up, and changing all my BIOS settings, I fired it up and it seems to work perfectly. I've been able to open a session or two and things seem fine. The drives are both recognized in the BIOS as well.

The fans that the fellow has installed on the 265's are the ThermalTake rather than the AMD fans that I had previous. They are far quieter than the AMDs.

So far, so good. I may search around for another spare motherboard just in case - at least I have a second set of CPUs and a spare power supply. Maybe I'l just build a second Quad...

Regards,
Jeff M
Well done on the trouble shooting. Good to hear you're up and running again.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 12-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Well done on the trouble shooting. Good to hear you're up and running again.

Shane
Me too...it was a little scary there for a while. Having the backups made things a little easier to stomach. Just glad everything worked out.

Regards,
Jeff M
Old 04-05-2011, 04:47 AM

I am using the original Quadzilla recipe, It was rock solid for two years, and it still "pretty awesome-" But I am having some weird issues and I thought I would start by posting here, since many of you have the exact same PC, maybe someone has already had, and solved this problem.

Last summer I had some "hinky" behaviour, my computer wasnt booting up, thought it was the HD and replaced it. I did finally discover that my motherboard battery had died...awesome, thought that was the problem, easy fix. -But not so fast...

The computer is often takes a few tries to boot up and is randomly shutting down- sometimes it stays on for a whole session or two, then all of a sudden everything goes black. Sometimes it will restart afterwards, sometimes it does not. When it does not start, there is a black screen, absolutely nothing come on.

Let me also add, that I have a thermometer posted and the inside of the chassis usually runs about 90 degees, often cooler, so really not very hot. In the middle of summer I have seen it reach 107- that was the hottest I have seen it, so still not that hot. I don't think it's heat related because sometimes it won't start when it hasn't been running-or it takes me a few tries at least.

I am thinking PSU, not heat, but before I started replacing things, I wanted to see if anyone else has encountered something similiar or has a better diagnosis. When it wouldn't start a few days ago I check the thermometer, it read 66.6. Cool temp, but creepy number, I thought about calling our pastor over to perform an exorcism on it.

I should add this too, because it's weird, sometimes when I shut it down, windows closes and the monitors go off, but the computer stays running, lights are on fans are blowing and ROM drives are working...just very random.

BUT when it's up and running...it's still awesome.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian27 View Post
I am using the original Quadzilla recipe, It was rock solid for two years, and it still "pretty awesome-" But I am having some weird issues and I thought I would start by posting here, since many of you have the exact same PC, maybe someone has already had, and solved this problem.

Last summer I had some "hinky" behaviour, my computer wasnt booting up, thought it was the HD and replaced it. I did finally discover that my motherboard battery had died...awesome, thought that was the problem, easy fix. -But not so fast...

The computer is often takes a few tries to boot up and is randomly shutting down- sometimes it stays on for a whole session or two, then all of a sudden everything goes black. Sometimes it will restart afterwards, sometimes it does not. When it does not start, there is a black screen, absolutely nothing come on.

Let me also add, that I have a thermometer posted and the inside of the chassis usually runs about 90 degees, often cooler, so really not very hot. In the middle of summer I have seen it reach 107- that was the hottest I have seen it, so still not that hot. I don't think it's heat related because sometimes it won't start when it hasn't been running-or it takes me a few tries at least.

I am thinking PSU, not heat, but before I started replacing things, I wanted to see if anyone else has encountered something similiar or has a better diagnosis. When it wouldn't start a few days ago I check the thermometer, it read 66.6. Cool temp, but creepy number, I thought about calling our pastor over to perform an exorcism on it.

I should add this too, because it's weird, sometimes when I shut it down, windows closes and the monitors go off, but the computer stays running, lights are on fans are blowing and ROM drives are working...just very random.

The PSU is one of the biggest points of failure in these machines. I would suggest replacing it before it fails and takes your Windows install and motherboard with it. PSU failure is one of the few things that seems to consistently corrupt a Windows install also. I can't say for sure thats your problem but a lot of folks have had PSU issues.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-05-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian27 View Post

I am having similar problems with my quadzilla. Removing the RAM chip out of DIMM 0 seemed to stabilize system for a while, but I continue to expereince random restarts of the operating system. Furthermore, Windows shows an error code 9C which Google indicates is a hardware problem. I just ordered a new PSU to see if that is the problem. I have eliminated every other possibility except for the processors and motherboard. If the PSU does not fix the problem, I am going to swap CPU 2 into CPU 1 and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, I am going to build an i7 Bloomfield rig. Dorian, I am interested in whether or not you find a fix for the issues you have. Please let me know.

Thanks
Doug
Old 04-06-2011, 04:26 AM

Thanks for the input. Time to take a look at the PSU. For the folks who have already replaced their PSU, have you found a good replacement?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 AM

My Quadzilla needs a new MOBO-I know folks are moving on to bigger and better machines-not ready to go there just yet.

I have been researching the most compatible replacement board but have not come across anything. Has anyone replaced their MOBO with another with success? Can anyone suggest a comprable replacement to the Tyan Tiger?

-Stymied in the Studio
Old 04-23-2012, 05:53 PM

Boy you'd be lucky, perhaps secondhand. Check eBay.