Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-19-2017, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Delay Compensation on a track with no other tracks in the session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredir View Post
Like I said. It's not an issue I was just curious.
There are no stupid questions. You should be curious.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen View Post
There are no stupid questions. You should be curious.
Agreed.

And Avid shouldn't be wasting resources trying to anticipate people using the software incorrectly and compensating for that with "expected outcomes". Let them stick with actual bugs.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I don't think it's as silly a question as some unkindly people on here are making it out to be. The compensation really should be on 0, it shouldn't be doing anything until an output is assigned.

Thank you. Wise remarks without any answers 🤨. I'm an audio lecturer and I'm used to answering literally every little question, so while teaching ADC I honestly don't know why that happens.
Also it's not a bug since it happened on several versions (I checked).
So again if anyone has the right answer please reply, cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredir View Post
Thank you. Wise remarks without any answers ��. I'm an audio lecturer and I'm used to answering literally every little question, so while teaching ADC I honestly don't know why that happens.
Also it's not a bug since it happened on several versions (I checked).
So again if anyone has the right answer please reply, cheers.

It is a totally meaningless thing. There is no answer, some piece of code leaves some *meaningless* value in the UI there, it does nothing, can't do anything. Why does it matter? ... That there is no answer and more importantly it does not matter... is the answer. What the hell else would you be telling a student?
Old 12-21-2017, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There is no answer
Nonsense, the coders will be able to tell you exactly why that number is there, even if it's a "mistake". It's not been programmed by a bunch of zombies. (Even though it feels that way sometimes )
Old 12-21-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Nonsense, the coders will be able to tell you exactly why that number is there, even if it's a "mistake". It's not been programmed by a bunch of zombies. (Even though it feels that way sometimes )
I have to say that I'm with this side of the discussion.

It may have no significance and may be meaningless in terms of its audible effect, but who knows what code execution is going on behind the scenes to arrive at that meaningless number.

And who knows whether that code execution also takes place when a bus is correctly set, before being overridden by another piece of code that then inserts the correct value.

It does make you wonder what other allegedly/possibly insignificant code execution goes on unnecessarily. If there are hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands, or more, irrelevant calculations going on, who knows what the cumulative effect might be in terms of Pro Tools' overall performance, depending on when they precisely occur.

Just dismissing things like this out of hand, trying to close out the discussion when you don't actually know what is going on behind the scenes, seems the wrong approach. I'm not saying we should devote much more time to this, there's not much more to be said.

But maybe, just maybe, it is something that should be brought to the attention of the developers. If they spend five minutes determining that it is insignificant then fine, fixing it can go to the bottom of the pile. But it might lead them to identifying something of significance. Who/how are we to judge?

No one here is saying that the manifestation we see is something that needs addressing as a priority, but we (unless some people commenting are actually involved in coding Pro Tools) are in absolutely no position to judge what its significance might be in relation to Pro Tools' overall performance.

For all we know, this might be a nonsenical end result displayed number that holds the key to identifying a coding error that has escaped detection and causes problems far removed from what we are actually seeing on the screen.

I know I don't contribute here much nowadays, but I do look in regularly, and this just caught my attention. Apologies if anyone feels my contribution unhelpful, but it is my opinion on the subject.
Pro Tools 2018, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 12-21-2017, 06:39 AM

You set things up properly and it works. It’s meaningless otherwise. Worrying about this is mental masturbation. There is much more important stuff to worry about for anybody actually trying to get work done with a DAW, or for a developer within Avid.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Worrying about this is mental masturbation.
Is this the floor of Congress?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Is this the floor of Congress?
That is both funny and scary given humor is usually based in truth.
Avid HD Omni I/O Interface ...Mid 2010 Mac Pro/ processor- 3.33 6-core Intel Xeon "Westmere" w/ Memory- 24 GB, Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI Graphics Card..... OS- Mojave 10.14.6, and PTHDN 2019.6 on on primary boot drive (SSD PCIe 512 GB Samsung SM951) FCPX files storage on Samsung 970 EVO 1TB and PT sessions storage on 2nd Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB -- both in dual drive Crest I/O PCIE controller adaptor card

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-21-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
You set things up properly and it works. It’s meaningless otherwise. Worrying about this is mental masturbation. There is much more important stuff to worry about for anybody actually trying to get work done with a DAW, or for a developer within Avid.

Who's worrying? But also, how do you know it's meaningless? Pure assumption on your part.

You don't have to give it another second's thought and that's fine. If other people want to give it a brief moment or two of attention, that's also fine, isn't it?
Pro Tools 2018, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)