How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 PM

Default Building a New PC - Core Parts Review

Hi all!
It has been many years since I have posted here on the DUC. My brother and I are building a new box and I wanted to see if any of you could find fault or make recommendations based on our choices.
Thanks!

ASUS Prime Z390-A LGA 1151 (300 Series)
Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core 16-Thread 3.6 GHz
Samsung EVO 970 Pro NVMe 1TB
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16GB)
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W
Asus ThunderboltEX3 Expansion Card
Old 02-12-2019, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Building a New PC - Core Parts Review

Looks like a solid build to me.
If you are going to be using a Thunderbolt interface, just make sure you look at the Asus site and get all the latest firmware and drivers for TB. Also make sure that the interface you choose works with the TB card and motherboard you picked. A lot of the interfaces still use a TB2 connector, so if you do get one of those, be sure to get a TB3 to TB2 adapter that the manufacturer recommends. Once set up and working, TB is a wonderful thing.

System Details
Old 02-12-2019, 10:24 AM

Hey Junkgear thanks for taking the time to reply back and for the good suggestions. I haven't decided on an interface yet - I'm currently using an old Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, so it feels like it is time for a change - although I must say that the Saffire works fine. The whole system I am using (Sweetwater Box) works fine actually - just very long in the tooth (all assembled in 2012).... The main thing that I'm trying to accomplish is as little latency as possible when recording as well as a rock solid box to edit with. Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 PM

Hey Finalcut, the build looks fine to me as well but I wanted to drop in what I have experienced changing systems recently from a Trashcan to a windows machine.

Windows has been a bit buggy with my TB card from ASUS. Not buggy as in it doesn't work but buggy in getting it working, and keeping it working. I had my RME UFX+ going through the TB card (daisy-chained through a UAD satellite) but I was having issues keeping it connected. I don't think it was RME but rather some bug with UAD, Windows, and TB. I'm still having system stability issues with the UAD and TB (or at least that is my current working theory), but they are inconsistent. Its just causing the system to freeze up when I leave it on overnight. If it even is the UAD TB satellite.

Second I wanted to put my two cents in about low latency. The recent switch of systems and interfaces was motivated by me stepping into more of a DAW midi mock-up goal and I was chasing latency. The short version of the story was, my Liquid Saffire 56 was the majority of my latency problem. So if you are relying on PT to monitor your mix live, and you are finding that there is more delay than you'd like I would see if your LS56 is the root of that problem. Who knows it may or may not be. As for me I moved to an RME UFX+ but any RME interface should solve any added latency issues you are having with PT (I initally tried a friends Fireface 800 from the early 2000s and had the same latency improvement).

Hope this helps!
Old 02-12-2019, 04:26 PM

falcowe, run LatencyMon to see what may be causing issues. Part of the optimizations I did when moving from a Digi 002 to an RME UFX. And if you're not using a board, you may want to look at RME's ARC USB Controller for TotalMix. My head nearly exploded getting it all routed properly, but now signal goes in and out of my interface with nothing in between.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-12-2019, 05:13 PM

Thanks Falcowe for the feedback. I appreciate it.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:03 PM

I would try to find a Gigabyte motherboard for this build. Asus has been not so hot for me lately

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-12-2019, 11:03 PM

Yeah if I could find a reliable mobo with built in thunderbolt that would be a good thing for sure Albee
Old 02-13-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcut View Post
Yeah if I could find a reliable mobo with built in thunderbolt that would be a good thing for sure Albee
I'm no expert on this .. but perhaps this one? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-110-_-Product
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 02-13-2019, 06:42 PM

Thanks EGS I'll check it out.