Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-06-2016, 01:20 PM

Default Annoying Sample Rate Issue

So i'm becoming frustrated with Pro Tools 10 and the Eleven Rack. I have had them both about a year now and about a month ago i decided i wanted to switch to a 96k sample rate setup.

So i go through all my software setting them to 24bit/96k defaults, and set the eleven rack, via the windows audio control panel to 96k, and internal clock source (same settings i use for pro tools bit depth/sample rate - as well as the Hardware settings in Pro Tools)

Since doing this, i now get to deal with an obnoxiously loud popping sound while Pro Tools 10 is opening, and again once i open a 96k session. This ONLY happens with Pro Tools 10. Pro Tools 11 and 12, Reaper 5, Ableton Live 9, all my plugins (NI Komplete stand-alone's & plugins), nothing else does this but Pro Tools 10.

I opened the Eleven Rack option window through the windows Control Panel and noticed that when Pro Tools 10 is doing its plugin scans it changed the eleven rack to 44.1, hence the first loud pop. As you may have guessed once i open a session with another sample rate, the second loud pop occurs.

Here is what i don't understand. If i set everything in Pro Tools 10 to be 96k through options, and all my sessions have been 96k, why does it start up in 44.1? I always run it as admin. I just wish there was a way to lock the eleven rack to 96k, or manually change Pro Tools 10 to boot up in either the sample rate of the eleven rack, or the last settings i had it at, or something. I am really starting to lose my patience with it and finding myself more and more removing pro tools from usual workflow because of this one thing.

Sorry for the ranting, just frustrated. I have been searching for days and the best i found was "well turn off your speakers, this is how the eleven rack is" which doesn't seem acceptable for the price tag on this stuff. As a last ditch effort i am hoping maybe someone in the community has an idea. I dunno what, maybe where to change a setting file to control the "default" sample rate that pro tools boots up in, or how to prevent it from changing the eleven racks windows setting, i don't know.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Annoying Sample Rate Issue

Hi and Welcome to the Community,

First thing I would do is change the USB cable if you are using the one that came th the 11R.

They were hit and miss and a few people i know got high quality USB cable in there and it made the biggest change. No issues after that. Just one of many things it can be but my money is on the cable if you haven't got a new good one.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-06-2016, 04:07 PM

Why are you using the Windows Control Panel to set the sample rate? Make your onboard soundcard the default for Windows sounds/audio and leave the 11 Rack for Pro Tools only and only change the sample rate for Pro Tools inside Pro Tools.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-06-2016, 09:50 PM

I know i cant be the only person with this issue, so to update; I tried searching through some preference files for Pro Tools 10 hoping i could locate a "default" or "boot" sample rate i could manually change. My thoughts are that if Pro Tools 11 and 12 can stay at 96k while it loads/scans plugins and asks me if i want to create or load a session, there should be no reason 10 cant do the same.

Honestly, i cant recall having this issue for the past year i have had the eleven rack until i did a complete wipe/reinstall when i changed to a solid state hard drive in the machine, but it could just be that i recently started noticing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hi and Welcome to the Community,

First thing I would do is change the USB cable if you are using the one that came th the 11R.
Thank you, been a long time lurker.

I swapped out through three or four different cables already. Its not a constant thing like most searches return on the subject. Its just that pro tools 10 (only) likes to change the sample rate as it starts up, instead of staying at the sample rate it was set too last time i had it open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Why are you using the Windows Control Panel to set the sample rate? Make your onboard soundcard the default for Windows sounds/audio and leave the 11 Rack for Pro Tools only and only change the sample rate for Pro Tools inside Pro Tools.
I was using the windows control panel to try and set the sample rate on the hardware hoping it would stick. Mostly i opened it so i could watch the sample rate settings direct on the eleven rack while Pro Tools 10 opened so i could see wtf was going on (i at first thought it may be a clock source issue, but turned out to be the eleven racks sample rate)

The pc i use is a dedicated audio machine, and as i use the eleven rack as my interface, it doesnt make sense to set my display audio as default and just make all my audio software use the eleven rack.

Either way, this as i mentioned, its not a constant thing. The issue ONLY occurs while loading Pro Tools 10. I have not had issue with 11 or 12 (admittedly i have not loaded any earlier pro tools versions since getting the 11r), none of my standalone softsynths (mostly korg and native instruments), nor do any other DAWs such as Reaper 5 and Ableton Live 9. Shoot, Guitar Pro and Sibelius dont even have issues.

The only reason i cant just use 12 is i dont have the funds to replace my plugins with aax plugins by picking up a newer NI Komplete, really the only thing holding me back from that switch at this time.