Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2001, 07:48 AM

Default Native Instruments: Direct Connect versus RTAS??

i've noticed that NI is releasing some new "Pro Tools Edition" versions of their soft-synths.

they say they integrate "seamlessly" into PT via RTAS or HTDM. (So that's RTAS for us 001-heads.)

that said, the soon-to-be-released PT Edition synths are more expensive than the synths you can currently purchase...

so, does anyone know if/how these newer synths differ to those already on the shelves?

is RTAS a better way to connect than Direct Connect?

if anyone has any experience with RTAS synths and/or Direct Connect synths, i'd love to hear your 2c.

('cause if Direct Connect works fine, i won't shell out the extra for the RTAS version...)

peace,

t.d.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Native Instruments: Direct Connect versus RTAS??

Hey Tommy, i would figure that the RTAS versions would be much better that the DC.
Pure speculation, my reasoning would be the synth or whatever would be like a plug in, it would automatically work in the sense of the two, rtas synth plug and ptle, no iac bus bullcrap, maybe better timing, less cpu overhead, no jumping back between the 2 apps, since thr RTAS synth would be working inside the pt envirorment, just like a EQ RTAS plug in would.
At least i hope! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Some one buy one of these buggers and let us know what da dang deal is.

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 11-27-2001, 07:04 AM

got an email from cust. service at NI, and you are entirely correct.

the RTAS version of the NI instruments will have full automation, easy this, easy that, (though i'm not sure about the elimination of the IAC bus)...

sounds pretty good... anyone wanna give me a grand, and i'll test 'em out for y'all.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

t.d.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:11 AM

I have the B4 program and it works fine. Great B3 organ sounds.

It is a pain to use the Direct Connect method with OMS. The RTAS way should be excellent.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:56 AM

F.Y.I. HTDM stands for HOST-TDM which is a new plugin standard for both platforms. TDM and 001. Learned this at the new seminar. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2001, 06:00 PM

Park Seward, is the B4 heavy on the cpu usage? I love the way the demo sounds, but don't know how much running B4 will slow my system down.