Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2015, 05:08 PM

Default Do yourself a favor, listen to Pro Tools Expert Russ Hughes PT 12 Review...

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...?download=true

Starts at about 26 minutes into it.

Russ Hughes:
"Bugger all (British for "nothing at all") I don't know. I've promised I won't Avid bash, but I'm finding it really hard not to say anything about this, because, let me just say it's the fastest version of Pro Tools I've ever un-installed from my machine in my life, it lasted less than an hour."

[Excerpts below condensed for clarity]

"It removed my Pro Tools 11. There's no track freeze. There's no collaboration. The store has the sum total of 1 plugin for sale. It is embarrassing, shameful, words fail me. If it was April the first, I'd understand. Don't waste your time, your money, your bandwidth, the **** of taking it off your machine and re-installing Pro Tools 11. I am speechless by this. I don't know what Avid wants us to say. Yeah. I don't want to say it. There is zero reason to update. It's a joke. Sorry. I don't even know if we should even bother."

Mike Thornton:
"I did assume the collaboration and track freeze would be there, that's incredibly disappointing that it's not there. That was the key feature. I have a perfectly working system, I'm carrying on with what I've got."

Thank you Russ for your honesty. It's why your site and podcasts keep me coming back again and again.
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD

Last edited by Justin1524; 06-16-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Do yourself a favor, listen to Pro Tools Expert Russ Hughes PT 12 Review...

I'm dying to see what the numbers are for this version sales-wise, compared to previous versions.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Do yourself a favor, listen to Pro Tools Expert Russ Hughes PT 12 Review...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
I'm dying to see what the numbers are for this version sales-wise, compared to previous versions.
Actually, I think the really telling number will be for PT 13 given how many people might bail from Avid and PT all together after this release. So many alternatives (and really powerful alternatives) out there these days. The transition is much, much easier (speaking from recent experience).
Old 03-24-2015, 05:43 PM

In all fairness, there is no rule that you must update to 12. Wait until they add the features you want. If they don't come through then move on or stand pat with your current version.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:16 PM

Well, I feel a lot the pain that I hear in Russ's voice.

The last three releases of Protools, I've spent a heck of a lot and I
have basically no improvements to my workflow ... other than I can
run it on my current compute hardware.

They obsoleted almost all of my hardware. I "went purple" with
promises of great things to come.

With the exception of the times when I can use offline bounce, there's
really nothing that 10 or 11 have bought me as an HD user.

When you buy in as much as I have .. and sounds like Russ has as well,
you expect to have confidence that there's a plan for professionals.

With the release of Protools 12, my confidence has waned.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:19 PM

Remember 8 came out. Those were good times. But now life sux. It is really hard to cope with this.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:03 AM

Russ did what I did except I had PTHD10 on my computer..... I only did one month and don't forget to turn the monthly AUTO PAY off or you will be charged and that would really suck huh Avid?
Old 03-25-2015, 12:29 AM

Guys ... those who don't want to update .. just don't update !

Avid is not obliging anyone or forcing us to update ... you have a working Pro Tools 11.3.1 so you can stick with it until you see big improvements or features released ... honestly I am looking forward for the cloud collab function ...
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 03-25-2015, 01:01 AM

I'm slightly surprised at the surprise. I've seen this coming for some time. Here's what Avid want to achieve:

1. Stability. 11 shouldn't now be seen as the good old days, it was the all-time worst roll out of a DAW and very damaging to the Avid brand. Whatever else is or isn't included, it has to be stable from now on.

2. They want to back-load the features to time with March 2016. They will then capitalise on a) having delivered the features they originally promised, and b) entice customers with shiny new ones. Double points if those new promises in 2016 are big Ideascale ones - "look everyone, we're listening now! Pay up!"

So that's the agenda here. It was exactly the same with MC8. The only surprising thing is the lack of Marianna etc to talk it up and explain it - the riot now was entirely predictable and could have largely been managed. The only time Marianna has said anything this week was to try to clamp down on anyone violating an NDA, which embarrassingly turned out to be Avid's own staff demoing at trade shows. From a PR perspective, this has been an awful rollout, but Avid won't much care - their eyes a focused a year from now.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-25-2015, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Guys ... those who don't want to update .. just don't update !

Avid is not obliging anyone or forcing us to update ... you have a working Pro Tools 11.3.1 so you can stick with it until you see big improvements or features released ... honestly I am looking forward for the cloud collab function ...
I totally understand why you might say this, and I normally would 100% agree with this sentiment.
However AVID actually *are* forcing an update. Not necessarily now, this instant. But absolutely this year.
If you choose not to upgrade (in my case I'm on PT10 with CPTK) before the end of the year (I believe that's the cut off), then you will not ever be able to upgrade, if you are not on an upgrade plan… You are stuck with the version you have for ever. Or, you buy a new licence… (Except that you can't buy an HD licence, you have to buy a hardware system.)

So, yes you can stay where you are, but it may not be a decision you can put off till later. The clock is ticking.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe