Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 AM

Default Recieving OMF and EDL From FCP w/TC

Hey Guys,
I was wondering if anyone is working with a FCP editor or you recieve an OMF and EDL with timecode.
We are moving from Avid to FCP and zero of the video editors wants to figure this out. I've read the books and am still having trouble. I'm currently recieving and OMF that works but does not contain Timecode embedded in the files. The session does reflect source TC and session TC is in the files but it won't output an omf with that info. Also an FCP will only output and edl with Video tracks and Clip information but two or three audio tracks. Can anybody put me in touch with an experienced editor that is working with Audio Post.

Thanks,
Skipp
Old 07-01-2008, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Recieving OMF and EDL From FCP w/TC

I'm currently working on a documentary that was edited in FCP.

The OMFs I received worked as expected and since the OMF contains the necessary information to place audio regions on the PT time line, I don't know (or care) if the actual audio files from FCP have internal timestamps.

The major snag is getting am EDL out of FCP. Apparently there are quite a few limitations to what an EDL can properly represent and depending on how the pix editor has constructed their sequence timeline, FCP can't output an EDL for it. Conforming this thing is not going to be pleasant.

There's a pretty good section in the FCP docs about outputting EDLs and your pix editors should read it!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 AM

Not sure if this is helpful, but most of the OMFs I receive from FCP editors don't import to the proper timecode location in Pro Tools. We're forced to make a giant region group of the OMF after it's in, and then spot it using the stone-age 2-pop. Let us know what works for you.

Best,

Nathaniel Reichman
www.nathanielreichman.com
Old 07-01-2008, 12:44 PM

I do a lot of FCP shows. FCP starts everything at hour 1. I don't know if it's just not changeable or if that's the way editors learned the app but??? The one bad thing about FCP VS Avid is that most Avid editors had to work their way up to actually cutting and work in a more structured way. A lot of FCP editors learned on their own and are much less likely to give you say, valid two pops or have any idea what a change note is.
OMF's and AFF's have worked very well and the one big nightmare, conforming, got solved when I bought CONFORMALIZER.

http://www.maggot.co.nz/software/conformalizer.shtml

I don't work for them and don't actually know anybody that does. But I have talked to the developer a number of times and responses and updates are very quick. FCP wasn't his main interest originally so he made a number of updates to address FCP specific issues and the app has been a rock.

One FCP "quirk" is the way they deal with drop frame TC. Everyone else in the world starts where the session starts and counts from there. FCP on the other hand always starts counting from midnight. This is an issue since FCP defaults to DF and a lot of editors (FCP editors) don't bother to change it.
Anyway I would check out conformalizer because it has worked very well and all the FCP editor needs to do is out put an XML, which is a menu item.

Quote:
Not sure if this is helpful, but most of the OMFs I receive from FCP editors don't import to the proper timecode location in Pro Tools. We're forced to make a giant region group of the OMF after it's in, and then spot it using the stone-age 2-pop. Let us know what works for you.

Best,

Nathaniel Reichman
www.nathanielreichman.com
Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 PM

FCP most certainly has the option of changing the starting TC, plus drop and non drop.

By default, FCP timelines start at 1 hr. This is a system pref that is EASILY changed.

The OMF export from FCP does retain all TC info for import into PT.

I actually (with the help of some DUC'ers) created a doc to hand off to FCP editors on how to properly export video with a TC window burn, export an OMF with unnested audio, etc. I've had almost no problems since I've started handing the doc off.

I'm an Apple Certified Trainer on FCP, so feel free to msg me if I can help anymore!
.: michaelkammes.com
.: lucidsound.com
Old 07-01-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I do a lot of FCP shows. FCP starts everything at hour 1. I don't know if it's just not changeable or if that's the way editors learned the app but???
That is becasue the editors with whom you are working do not know what they are doing. It is just another symptom of : Hey, it is cheap and easy to cut picture, anyone with a computer can do it. I have worked with plenty of FCP editors who were doing films and set up the Reels correctly.

It is quite easy to change the start time of a Sequence.

Sequence Menu/Sequence Settings/Timeline Options (3rd tab over)/Starting Timecode.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 07-01-2008, 01:55 PM

While we are flexing our FCP muscles, minister...

That changes the individual seq TC...NOT any other seq in your project, nor any subsequent ones. I recommend changing it permanently...a set it and forget it feature.

FCP Menu / User Prefs / Timeline Options.

Do this prior to starting any projects. Now, every project you START will inherit those settings.

DL an free app like FCP Rescue to save your settings incase of a prefs corruption; otherwise you have to go back and re-enter this if you need to trash your prefs due to a corruption.

(You still rock, minister)
.: michaelkammes.com
.: lucidsound.com
Old 07-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Ah, Ok. Sure. Thanks for pointing that out. (I need to point that out to one editor who ALWAYS sends me NON-BCAST stuff as DF!!)

I meant no disrespect to Noiz2, it is just that there are too many FCP "editors" out there....

With your way, you still have to set the hours for each subsequent Reel Sequence on a multi-reel film...which was one of my points.

Glad to know I still rock and/or roll.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 07-02-2008, 05:36 AM

Thanks guys for your input. AvGuru I will appreciate your assistance as I progress.
As it is an omf once imported into Protools only contains clip lengths. And even that is strange.
For example all the clips are starting at 01:00 and ending at some length. I still also need answers for EDL exports. Is it necessary for me to purchase Automatic Duck? Anway I will continue to work.
Thanks,
Old 07-02-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:

The OMF export from FCP does retain all TC info for import into PT.

Please let me in on the secret because this is an issue I have been trying to contend with for quite some time now. Everything I have read tried seen and heard and been told by Apple leads to the sad fact that FCP will NOT pass source timecode in an OMF (as an AVID OMF will). Audio ends up stamped with FCP session timeline timecode. XML Pro by Gallery is the only way I have found to get past this limitation

I sure would love to be shown otherwise!