Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 03:24 PM

Default undo jump to session start after accidentally pressing enter

Sometimes I press unwanted enter (return) and the playhead jumps to session start. That can be annoying especially, when i work on a long session, because it takes time to find back to where i was.

When this happens, I hold down the option-key (alt) and click into the middle of the zoom-cross (the middle between the four buttons for zoom audio/midi on the top left) - then the view jumps back to where I was before. This only works, when I did not press play in between (and: the playhead stays at session start, so you have to click into the timeline also).

Does anybody else uses that shortcut, or knows why that works ?

It can be used to minimize the bad effects of the socalled scrollbug (PT does not scroll, if the incoming TC is lower than the playheads position) in PT 6.4 and 6.9:Usually the scroll bug only occurs after editing (talking about movie postpro), because then the incoming timecode will be lower than the playheads position, when you listen to the piece you just edited (you edit, then you rewind to a position earlier and playback again). To avoid that, simply press enter (return) after editing and hold option while clicking into the zoom-cross. The view jumps to the position you just worked at and PT scrolls as soon as it is locked.(I think this is much better than working with a fix playhead)
Old 11-09-2008, 05:19 AM

Default Re: undo jump to session start after accidentally pressing enter

Hi folks,

could at least anybody confirm, that this is working and that this is at least a little bit odd ?

thanks,
says the surfer
Old 11-09-2008, 05:47 AM

Default Re: undo jump to session start after accidentally pressing enter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexsurfer23 View Post
Sometimes I press unwanted enter (return) and the playhead jumps to session start. That can be annoying especially, when i work on a long session, because it takes time to find back to where i was.

When this happens, I hold down the option-key (alt) and click into the middle of the zoom-cross (the middle between the four buttons for zoom audio/midi on the top left) - then the view jumps back to where I was before. This only works, when I did not press play in between (and: the playhead stays at session start, so you have to click into the timeline also).

Does anybody else uses that shortcut, or knows why that works ?
Yes, this has been a long hidden feature at least since PT 5.1.
I have no idea if this was programmed intetionally or if it´s just a "bug" that functions as a feature some times.

But I use it all the time when the cursor jumps to some location lightyears beyond my viewed time-line.

You just have to make sure that you click into the time-line once the location comes back otherwise if you press play right away PT will still play from session start and the trick won´t work a second time.

Frank.