Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Mute automation

Hi all,
Something that's bugged me for a long time: I never use mute automation, and have it disabled in the auto-enable window. So, how come, if I just want to mute a track while I'm working, it immediately un-mutes itself as soon as I start playback?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 04-02-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Mute automation

check and see if there is an automation dot keeping it in the on position if it is still visible

i don't use the disable you did but i have had a mute not work and found that i had put a dot on the function that was on in the backgroud

check and see.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:08 AM

if you have mute disabled in the automation window, you won't write new mute data. but you'll still play back existing mute data. you may have had mute enabled earlier -- if so, even writing just one pass of automation would have created breakpoints.

you can easily remove spurious breakpoints by choosing mute track view on all tracks, selecting the entire session, and clearing the breakpoints. or you could choose mute track view on any track and command-option-click on that track view button to disable reading and writing mute information on all tracks.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Hi all,
Something that's bugged me for a long time: I never use mute automation, and have it disabled in the auto-enable window. So, how come, if I just want to mute a track while I'm working, it immediately un-mutes itself as soon as I start playback?

Thanks in advance!

Joe
Okay man. I'm letting you have a good trick hear. I just disable mute automation for the tracks you want to be able to freely mute and unmute. What you do is make the track at least medium view. Pull up the mute automation view in the edit window and command + control + click on the mute view button. Now that track does not read mute automation. This can be done for any automation you don't want the track to read but mute is were it really works well. Hope this helps.
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 04-03-2007, 09:02 AM

Hey, thanks so much for the great tips everyone, and the great trick Brandon!

I'll bet there's a mute breakpoint in the tracks from when I first created the mix template, and I'd imagine that any OMF tracks I get probably have an automatic "Mute Off" breakpoint at the top. Sigh, one more thing to check.....

Looking forward to less profanity today

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook