Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 07:55 PM

Default New internal drive - initialize questions

I've done some searches but I'm still a bit confused. I've installed another drive some time ago, but I don't remember initializing it.

The drive in question is my 3rd drive and will be used to store drum samples from BFD (Fxpansion drum program if you're familiar), and samples will be streamed from it via RTAS plugins. It's a 120GB Ultra ATA/100.

I assume I have to initialize it, and my understanding is that I should use a non-journaled format. So, I'm in Disk Utility under the Erase tab. For volume format, I see Mac OS Extended (Journaled), but I don't see non-journaled. Am I to assume that the choice that says simply Mac OS Extended is the non-journaled option? Secondly, am I in the right place(Erase)? I expected to see Initialize.

The previous drive I installed, used to store my audio and run PT Sessons, is a 160GB Ultra ATA/100. On the System Profiler, its file system is listed as HFS+. Is that non-journaled?

Finally, my system drive, its file system is listed as Journaled HFS+... obviously not non-journaled. Would my system drive benefit from being reinitializing as non-journaled? Is it worth it?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: New internal drive - initialize questions

Journaling is now recommended for all drives using PT on 10.3 or higher (including 10.4). Check out the following, which can be found on this page.

<font color="#333333"> Macintosh Journaled File System Now Recommended for Pro Tools

Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4 incorporates a journaled file system, which will automatically log any file modifications. If your computer crashes badly enough to require a restart (or a restart from a power failure), the OS will then use the journal to aid in fixing any disk problems caused by the crash.

Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4 ships with journaling on by default. Digidesign now recommends that customers format their media drives with journaling turned on. When using Apple"s Disk Utility program to format drives, Digidesign recommends choosing "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" format, instead of "Mac OS Extended."

To enable journaling on an existing drive in Mac OS X 10.3:

Run the Apple Disk Utility, located in Application/Utilities.
Select the disk or volume in the left column of the Disk Utility windows.
Click "Enable Journaling" in the toolbar, or choose "Enable Journaling" or Command+J from the File menu
If you want to turn journaling off for any reason, select the volume and choose "Disable Journaling" or Command +J in the File menu of Disk Utility. Note that disabling journaling will slow recovery if your system has to be rebooted to recover from a kernel panic or power failure.

Note: Mac OS 10.4 includes two new formatting options:

Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)
Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)
Digidesign has not tested these new formatting options with Pro Tools, and therefore these are not recommended. Please choose the following option for drive formatting:

Mac OS Extended (Journaled)