Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2017, 04:58 AM

Default Re: PT 12.7.1 crash

As the others are saying, this sounds like a classic case of a spinning hard drive telling you that it's dying. Its's funny how we almost never listen, and are actually surprised when it does fail entirely. Many argue that the cost of SSD drives is to the point now that its almost a no-brainer to get one installed. Please follow up on this important post, to let others know the outcome. Hope the file recovery tools help you get some work back.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylie6 View Post
As the others are saying, this sounds like a classic case of a spinning hard drive telling you that it's dying. Its's funny how we almost never listen, and are actually surprised when it does fail entirely. Many argue that the cost of SSD drives is to the point now that its almost a no-brainer to get one installed. Please follow up on this important post, to let others know the outcome. Hope the file recovery tools help you get some work back.
I'm going to order a new drive today. I guess I just don't understand all of the other systems stopping at the same time. I should have session backup files and a time machine backup every hour. It's strange to look at the logs and the session files I do have and see that the machine stopped doing it's basic functions around 10:32 AM.

Hopefully it is just the drive as you mention they are not all that expensive any longer. I will get it swapped out and report back.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help. Much appreciated,

Scott
Old 04-30-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerSound View Post
I'm going to order a new drive today. I guess I just don't understand all of the other systems stopping at the same time. I should have session backup files and a time machine backup every hour. It's strange to look at the logs and the session files I do have and see that the machine stopped doing it's basic functions around 10:32 AM.

Hopefully it is just the drive as you mention they are not all that expensive any longer. I will get it swapped out and report back.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help. Much appreciated,

Scott
There are drive monitoring tools that will tell u a mile away if the will fail. I use something which has become as normal to me as OS X. Softraid. Amazing software that has always warned me about failing drives. You could try their 30 day demo and see if they report something Their reports are are much more in depth and depend on a lot more vast factors way beyond SMART.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:20 AM

It may be impossible to tell. It might well be a OS X or Pro Tools software problem. In the system.log look around the time of the problem and look at the next messages from when the computer rebooted. I expect if the disk problems you will see a bunch of messages about that on the reboot. It may be worth doing a full clean OS X and Pro Tools install to the new drive and try to remove several possible causes at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2017, 11:41 AM

All right crew, if I buy a replacement drive should I go SSD? 1T spinner is $50. That is what I have and it's worked great for 6 years (until yesterday).

I remember the argument that SSD would not be good for a media drive. Has that philosophy changed or have the drives advanced past that old thinking?

Thanks for any input,

Scott
Old 04-30-2017, 12:12 PM

That would be a confused/wrong argument. Samsung 850 Pro or Evo. Avoid the smallest sizes.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That would be a confused/wrong argument. Samsung 850 Pro or Evo. Avoid the smallest sizes.

Great! I'll start looking into it. This is going into a 5,1 Mac Pro tower. Still the same suggestions in brand and model?

Thanks again for your input,

Scott
Old 04-30-2017, 01:57 PM

Yes....

But the long answer is Yes if you want to go for a SATA SSD.

And then if you want more performance install a SATA III (6Gbps) PCIe controller card in the Mac because the motherboard SATA is only SATA II (3Gbps).

But if you really want maximum performance go with M.2 SSD drives installed on PCIe cards. Like Samsung SM 951.... much faster but more work.

Probably best to err on the side of simplicity. Install a Samsung 950 Pro or Evo drive connected to the motherboard SATA II and get everything working then you can install a SATA III card later.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:19 PM

@RamblerSound,

this just popped into my mind....

You are NOT using iCloud Drive by any change ?

If ANY of you are. Make sure that "Optimize Mac Storage" is turned off inside iCloud Drive Options -> Documents.

If it is NOT - well - when macOS Sierra - SingleHandedly Decides that it should, if WILL delete any files it sees fit from either your Desktop or Documents Folder and store that ONLY in iCloud.

It will Optimize-Away your Files !

Just a thought !
Old 05-04-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
@RamblerSound,

this just popped into my mind....

You are NOT using iCloud Drive by any change ?

If ANY of you are. Make sure that "Optimize Mac Storage" is turned off inside iCloud Drive Options -> Documents.

If it is NOT - well - when macOS Sierra - SingleHandedly Decides that it should, if WILL delete any files it sees fit from either your Desktop or Documents Folder and store that ONLY in iCloud.

It will Optimize-Away your Files !

Just a thought !
I will check into this. I don't think I am but this is a fantastic thought. I will post back if I find anything interesting.

Thanks for giving this some thought. I really appreciate it,

Scott