Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2015, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Do yourself a favor, listen to Pro Tools Expert Russ Hughes PT 12 Review...

In terms of actual features, apart from unlocking third party interfaces, the jumps from 7 to 8 to 9 to 10 were from a post point of view very minor. From a windows user POV, 11 was HUGE - finally us Windows users were released from Quicktime's strangle hold over our video IO options. I would also dispute the "worst ever release" claims. Here in Windows land, 11 has been silky smooth from 11.0.0 onwards. 12.0 is simply Avid laying the foundations. There is no point them putting the cloud collaboration features in until a) they've been tested properly and b) there are enough people signed up to the new subscription to make it worth while even switching on the servers. It's chicken and egg. I suggest that everyone here takes a chill pill, and remembers that for existing 11 users, they have until the end of the year to make a decision. Keep calm and carry on mixing. 11 is brilliant IMO, and the only DAW out there capable of being a flexible professional tool. One of my clients occasionally is contractually obliged to use a.n.other studio, which doesn't have ProTools. They always come back to me frustrated at how difficult the process is on other DAWs. The grass is always greener. Until you realise it's just mud painted green.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Do yourself a favor, listen to Pro Tools Expert Russ Hughes PT 12 Review...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
I have 10+cptk and it will work forever and is not subject to forced yearly support plan.
Absolutely.

However, that rather assumes that your computer will work forever, and you're ok being stuck on a supported (i.e. probably Mountain Lion) OS.

Quote:
avid has yet to say what the policy is for lapse HD
There was something on their site about a month ago saying that if you stayed put then you would not be able to upgrade after the end of this year… I actually can't now find that info, but it seemed pretty clear when I read it… I'm in the same position as you, and basically made a decision to make an upgrade choice once it's clear what PT12 has to offer.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 03-25-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk View Post
12.0 is simply Avid laying the foundations.
I find it unreasonable to coerce existing customers to invest in a promise. I've never seen this sort of thing from a software company, and PT11 should be that foundation. This is almost like a forced Kickstarter campaign for Avid. Actually, if Avid hosted a Kickstarter campaign to incorporate specific features, they'd probably get great response.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarqu1 View Post
I find it unreasonable to coerce existing customers to invest in a promise. I've never seen this sort of thing from a software company, and PT11 should be that foundation. This is almost like a forced Kickstarter campaign for Avid. Actually, if Avid hosted a Kickstarter campaign to incorporate specific features, they'd probably get great response.
You've obviously never purchased anything from Apple, AMS-Neve, Merging, Yamaha, the list is endless. Avid are by no means unique.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 03-25-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Atkinson View Post
Absolutely.

However, that rather assumes that your computer will work forever, and you're ok being stuck on a supported (i.e. probably Mountain Lion) OS.
There are major facilities still on 8 and 9. The infatuation with having the latest and greatest is what these companies prey on. IMO, there is nothing in 11/12 that I need. I use Logic for composition. My job has 11 because they went to HDX for the dub stages for a variety of reasons. One being higher track counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Atkinson View Post
There was something on their site about a month ago saying that if you stayed put then you would not be able to upgrade after the end of this year… I actually can't now find that info, but it seemed pretty clear when I read it… I'm in the same position as you, and basically made a decision to make an upgrade choice once it's clear what PT12 has to offer.
Avid has said many times the policy on HD/HD lapse has yet to be determined. It will be by year's end and they will give us enough time to make a decision.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
There are major facilities still on 8 and 9. The infatuation with having the latest and greatest is what these companies prey on. IMO, there is nothing in 11/12 that I need. I use Logic for composition. My job has 11 because they went to HDX for the dub stages for a variety of reasons. One being higher track counts.
And that's fine for major facilities. I wonder how many HDX systems are in smaller facilities and in house production facilities that may be more affected by the new policies.
Quote:
Avid has said many times the policy on HD/HD lapse has yet to be determined. It will be by year's end and they will give us enough time to make a decision.
Enough time to make a decision is different for each individual and situation.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarqu1 View Post
Actually, if Avid hosted a Kickstarter campaign to incorporate specific features, they'd probably get great response.
Yes they would, but there's no way they will, in fact they'd probably be insulted by the suggestion.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
https://app.box.com/shared/static/l8...1oh4s6xwgm.mp3

Starts at about 26 minutes into it.

Russ Hughes:
"Bugger all (British for "nothing at all") I don't know. I've promised I won't Avid bash, but I'm finding it really hard not to say anything about this, because, let me just say it's the fastest version of Pro Tools I've ever un-installed from my machine in my life, it lasted less than an hour."

[Excerpts below condensed for clarity]

"It removed my Pro Tools 11. There's no track freeze. There's no collaboration. The store has the sum total of 1 plugin for sale. It is embarrassing, shameful, words fail me. If it was April the first, I'd understand. Don't waste your time, your money, your bandwidth, the **** of taking it off your machine and re-installing Pro Tools 11. I am speechless by this. I don't know what Avid wants us to say. Yeah. I don't want to say it. There is zero reason to update. It's a joke. Sorry. I don't even know if we should even bother."

Mike Thornton:
"I did assume the collaboration and track freeze would be there, that's incredibly disappointing that it's not there. That was the key feature. I have a perfectly working system, I'm carrying on with what I've got."

Thank you Russ for your honesty. It's why your site and podcasts keep me coming back again and again.
I posted an issue about my ilok going offline and restarting PT11 brought me to an activation screen, so I was right.
AVID is managing your ilok licenses now.

I think Russ said it best. Don't waste your time with this garbage release.

It is pointless and worthless.

Funny, Russ uninstalled PT12 in an hour and went back to PT11.

AVID should be ashamed of themselves and they should start apologizing.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 03-25-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
I posted an issue about my ilok going offline and restarting PT11 brought me to an activation screen, so I was right.
AVID is managing your ilok licenses now.

I think Russ said it best. Don't waste your time with this garbage release.

It is pointless and worthless.

Funny, Russ uninstalled PT12 in an hour and went back to PT11.

AVID should be ashamed of themselves and they should start apologizing.
Russ played it smart when he used his second iLok.
Avid will never apologize for this debacle. Best thing they could do is to pull what they're calling PT12 and re-release it as it truly is - PT11.4 (or .5) without need for any of us to spend a dime on it.

QAPLA!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Russ played it smart when he used his second iLok.
Avid will never apologize for this debacle. Best thing they could do is to pull what they're calling PT12 and re-release it as it truly is - PT11.4 (or .5) without need for any of us to spend a dime on it.
He also said that he paid for the subscription for 1 month.

He didn't really review it so much as said that there was nothing there TO review. And he questioned why Avid was even charging money for it.

This is going to be the new model:

Sure, dot updates and bug fixes are free of charge...but there's not going to be any more of those. Avid has proved that they are willing to roll out bug fixes and call them new versions, so they can charge for them. Done. End of story.

I hope all the good developers and technicians and product managers at Avid leave en mass and start their own company. This **** is redonculous.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One