Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2015, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Give Us Input Monitoring On PT12 Native !!!!!

I agree. ProTools Ideascale is a complete and utter waste of time.

Besides which, even if this idea scale worked, the majority aren't always right.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I agree. ProTools Ideascale is a complete and utter waste of time.

Besides which, even if this idea scale worked, the majority aren't always right.
I can't see how it's waste of time. It doesn't hurt to give Avid some ideas about what we the users would want to have in the software. I've seen many of my feature requests implemented, but with that said I made them when I was beta testing and there was no Ideascale at that time. Still, the same principle.

But you're right, those are only ideas and Avid doesn't need to implement the feature that most people want. It's just a bunch of ideas they might not have thought of, and by voting they will know if you're alone with your problem or are there many people who are affected with the same thing.

Sometimes this happens: "Ask and keep on asking and it shall be given you; (...) For everyone who asks and keeps on asking receives."
Old 03-23-2015, 01:43 AM

I'm so glad JFreak posted to help me understand how this feature is really about how to run a business. If you can't see that spending $5000 for a hardware dongle to get something as difficult to implement as this, you really don't belong here. The coding that must be involved to allow this extravagant feature that already exists in PTHD would blow your mindz! Avid roolz.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:56 AM

I think it's silly to say that you need 5 grand hardware dongle for *this* little feature. It's just currently entry-level price for PT HD (and by the way it used to be 10 grand not so long ago). It is also silly to say that you need to pay that much *only* to get more metering choices for example. You want one thing and you realise you want HD and get mad, but the most important thing is do you really NEED it. You need to pay the HD price if you need HD (and most often the real reason is you're not happy with the lesser interfaces) but of course everyone has own opinions about it. Just sayin' it is different to want something than need something.

We still do not have PT12 released and do not know what new features it'll bring us during the 2015 of support contract. Just do not expect all of them (which we don't even know yet) are implemented on PT12.0.0 because if you take a look at Media Composer which went to support plan earlier, the features came one by one and by the end of the support the list was nice. It may be so that PT12.0.0 is pretty much the same compared to PT11.3.1 plus the added cloud collaboration, but what they did with MC is the point here; we don't need to wait until late 2016 or whatever to be able to get the new features. They can now be added anytime.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I think it's silly to say that you need 5 grand hardware dongle for *this* little feature. It's just currently entry-level price for PT HD (and by the way it used to be 10 grand not so long ago). It is also silly to say that you need to pay that much *only* to get more metering choices for example. You want one thing and you realise you want HD and get mad, but the most important thing is do you really NEED it. You need to pay the HD price if you need HD (and most often the real reason is you're not happy with the lesser interfaces) but of course everyone has own opinions about it. Just sayin' it is different to want something than need something.

We still do not have PT12 released and do not know what new features it'll bring us during the 2015 of support contract. Just do not expect all of them (which we don't even know yet) are implemented on PT12.0.0 because if you take a look at Media Composer which went to support plan earlier, the features came one by one and by the end of the support the list was nice. It may be so that PT12.0.0 is pretty much the same compared to PT11.3.1 plus the added cloud collaboration, but what they did with MC is the point here; we don't need to wait until late 2016 or whatever to be able to get the new features. They can now be added anytime.
Ah yes, we've been here before.

The basic problem is that Avid has badly mucked up the divide between regular and HD, and made a number of features HD-exclusive that would be of great benefit to regular users. Steinberg get it pretty much exactly right with the Cubase / Nuendo divide, just aiming Nuendo squarely at post. Hans Zimmer joked a few months ago that he really ought to have upgraded to Neundo by now... the joke of course that he doesn't need to.

With PT, it's a horrible mess, very confused as to what is aimed at whom. The result is that a very large number of people are in this very position, essentially perfectly happy with regular PT except for one or two features that are actually very important to them. They don't want to spend $5k on what - for them - is mostly features they neither want or need, or a hunk of hardware gathering dust in the corner.

It's a crazy situation. And just as I said before, a large part of the reason for the mass migration to Logic / Cubase / Studio 1 etc, who make no similar daft restrictions.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Ah yes, we've been here before.

The basic problem is that Avid has badly mucked up the divide between regular and HD, and made a number of features HD-exclusive that would be of great benefit to regular users. Steinberg get it pretty much exactly right with the Cubase / Nuendo divide, just aiming Nuendo squarely at post. Hans Zimmer joked a few months ago that he really ought to have upgraded to Neundo by now... the joke of course that he doesn't need to.

With PT, it's a horrible mess, very confused as to what is aimed at whom. The result is that a very large number of people are in this very position, essentially perfectly happy with regular PT except for one or two features that are actually very important to them. They don't want to spend $5k on what - for them - is mostly features they neither want or need, or a hunk of hardware gathering dust in the corner.

It's a crazy situation. And just as I said before, a large part of the reason for the mass migration to Logic / Cubase / Studio 1 etc, who make no similar daft restrictions.
AVID wants to keep it so you "need" to upgrade to their hardware in order for the features.
Granted, input monitoring was broken for 10.3.9 for 9 months, so that was a wash of an update.

Hans invested several millions (personally) into Steinberg before Yamaha, so a lot of that is was his push. The midi in Nuendo and Cubase wasn't the same then, maybe it is now. Either way, Nuendo midi was worse than Cubase.

AVID has a clear line. HD is "pro", and 5k. Get over it. It is clear that if you don't, you can move on.

So that seems to be AVID's position and that is that. They are trying to be Adobe and Apple at the same time. With a side of Microsoft.
All companies who could buy AVID with pocket change.

The CEO has no clue of this business and is going to ruin AVID. I know blondes with more brains.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 03-23-2015, 04:59 AM

There is some problem with please identify it.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
AVID wants to keep it so you "need" to upgrade to their hardware in order for the features.
Sorry if I sound like a fanboy here, but please give it some perspective.

PT standard software today delivers 32 i/o with 3rd party interfaces, whereas back in the LE days it was 18 i/o maximum. 8 analog, 8 ADAT (max.48kHz) 2 SPDIF (again, max.48kHz if you need that 18 maximum i/o count due to ADAT lacking SMUX). Software features are way beyond anything LE era. So today you can build a 32 i/o system with 3rd party interfaces and have almost all features (except surround mixer) that cost +10 grand ten years ago.

I would have loved to have 11.3.1 standard software back in 2002 when PT went OSX and it was either +10 grand Digidesign system or 1 grand Digidesign system.

Can't HD people have some perks
Old 03-23-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Sorry if I sound like a fanboy here, but please give it some perspective.

PT standard software today delivers 32 i/o with 3rd party interfaces, whereas back in the LE days it was 18 i/o maximum. 8 analog, 8 ADAT (max.48kHz) 2 SPDIF (again, max.48kHz if you need that 18 maximum i/o count due to ADAT lacking SMUX). Software features are way beyond anything LE era. So today you can build a 32 i/o system with 3rd party interfaces and have almost all features (except surround mixer) that cost +10 grand ten years ago.

I would have loved to have 11.3.1 standard software back in 2002 when PT went OSX and it was either +10 grand Digidesign system or 1 grand Digidesign system.

Can't HD people have some perks
Go back far enough and we were on wax cylinders.

PT basic hasn't kept pace with the marketplace. I'm an HD customer, and I'm perfectly fine with that meaning just post features, delineating along the Cubase / Nuendo paradigm, and bequeathing some features to vanilla. It's not in my overall interest to see PT fail.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-23-2015, 11:32 AM

Get an apollo interface console does that for you plus you get access to all those great plugins.. I have 2 hd accel6 systems and a native pt 11 system with UA interfaces and there is little that I can’t do with my native setup,www.GVAPMUSIC.com