Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Help – Won’t recognize SDII files

Hi there. Hopefully one of you can help me with this. I’m running a G4 450 with OS 9.0.4 and PT LE 5.1 with 001. A friend of mine has a G4 powerbook, OS X Panther, PT LE 6.2 with a 002.
We are trying to import audio files from my machine into an existing session on his. We need to use files from both machines for the same session. Both sessions are 24 bit, 44.1 and both were recorded using SDII files. I have my files on a Maxtor one touch external HD.
The problem is, when I plug the HD into his powerbook, it’ll recognize the folders and I can see the session and audio files, but no matter how I try to import the audio files into the session on his machine, it keeps saying it “does not recognize that file type,” or “invalid file type,” or “your mother doesn’t love you anymore.” Well, OK, it doesn’t say the last one. If they’re both SDII with the same specs, why is this happening?
Anyone know how I could fix this?

Thanks

Bounce
Old 10-18-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Help – Won’t recognize SDII files

I'm guessing here, but do a "Command I" on one of the audio files and see what it says. Maybe you need to change the Default App.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:31 AM

If the drive was formatted as FAT32 it'll have stripped the resource forks from the sd2 files... make sure the drive is formatted on a Mac as HFS+

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-19-2004, 12:47 AM

Quote:
If the drive was formatted as FAT32 it'll have stripped the resource forks from the sd2 files... make sure the drive is formatted on a Mac as HFS+

Rail
This is my problem. I have a Maxtor 250 gig drive of archived sessions. I moved these files to the new G5 so I can burn DVDs.

The problem is all the files come up (with 'get info') as 'unix executable File'. The drive comes up as Format=MAC PC Exchange (MS-DOS).

What can I do to restore these files? They worked fine with the G4 / OS9 / 001.

That is a lot of material to lose over something like this.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:33 AM

Not at my machine at the moment, but do you have access to Logic? It also reads SDII, worth a try, it's worked for me before. Only other thing I can suggest trying is to simply copy the files from one HD to the other before working on them.

Ah, just thought of something else. Create a new session and set the file type to SDII and then it might be able to work on the files directly without importing. You can then do Save Copy As, and it should work.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:44 AM

when you use 'get info',does it/it should, give you an option to open the filetype with a particular programme!?See if that works
Old 10-19-2004, 09:28 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Some of them I've tried, some of them have given me new ideas. However, since yesterday, I've had a new "challenge" arise with this. In attempting to circumvent the issues at hand, I thought I would be clever and simply run the 8 tracks of his 002 session into my 001 via the optical connections and just rerecord the audio signals in the session on my G4. Luckily, I have my half of the session backed up on my Maxtor because about 90 seconds after I finished the dump and patted myself on the back, the hard drive inside my G4 died. At least, I assume that that's what the grinding, buzzing, knocking, whining noises and the inability to boot the machine means.
Anyone got any suggestions on a replacement internal hard drive for my G4?
May you all have better weeks than I'm having.

Thanks,
Bounce
Old 10-19-2004, 09:44 AM

IMHO, Seagate make the best (and quietest) drives. My second choice would be Western Digital. 7200 RPM is all you need... Hope that helps...

In fact, this is a great deal on this drive (even without the rebate)
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4008252