Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet

Old 01-17-2015, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools branded Apogee Quartet - Users, what is the verdict thus far???

Thanks for all the help, gentlemen! I use cubase for composing, but do not think I can change the buffer size via Cubase, as it always takes you to the audio interface software to do that. I'm guessing PT can do it, but as far as I know, Cubase cannot.

Sean Christopher Dockery
www.SeanDockery.com

Sean Christopher - New Age composer
www.SeanChristopher.net
Old 01-17-2015, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools branded Apogee Quartet - Users, what is the verdict thus far???

Sorry to hear that.

But it is possible that itīs really like that as I read a post in the Cubase/Steinberg forum
where there a MBox 3 user was telling the exact same story... saying it seemed not to be
possible for him to change the buffer size with any other DAW/application but Pro Tools
itself using the MBox 3.
He confirmed that in Pro Tools it would work well however in any other application (including
Cubase) it would not.

So there seems to be something wrong with the Avid driver obviously. Thatīs not cool indeed.

This post was from 2012 and they havenīt solved this issue yet but maybe itīs even intended...
so that users may not be able to use any other DAW with the Avid interfaces than Pro Tools
really successfully.

Anyway.
Read it for yourself.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=194694

Again, if there really is no (still hidden) solution for it, itīs pretty disappointing indeed.
On the other hand if you are not mixing in Cubase it still may be possible to work though.
If you are doing Midi and composing in Cubase the 64 samples setting will probably work
anyway from my personal experience.

As to your question in another thread theoretically the Quartet will provide 8 outputs
including the Headphone Outs. 6 Mono Line Outs+1x Stereo Out via the headphone jack.
And you can route everything as you need it in the Pro Tools I/O Output Routing tab.

All the best to you,

VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.10.1 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2
Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.3, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:05 PM

Thanks, VRW. The 64 buffer seems to be working great so far with Cubase, but yes, it does kind of suck that I can't change it. You know what is weird though, is that ProTool 11 is making crackles and pops at a 256 buffer while playing virtual instruments, and only when I choose 512 it stops.....but then is too much latency to be fun while playing from a MIDI keyboard. One would THINK that the ProTool Quartet would work flawlessly with ProTools, but it is working better with Cubase 8 at the 64 buffer. Luckily for me I use Cubase for everything, but only wanted to have ProTools for when I have clients and friends who would rather use ProTools when visiting my home studio.

Sean Christopher Dockery
www.SeanDockery.com

Sean Christopher - New Age composer
www.SeanChristopher.net
Old 01-17-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum7 View Post
You know what is weird though, is that ProTool 11 is making crackles and pops at a 256 buffer while playing virtual instruments, and only when I choose 512 it stops.....but then is too much latency to be fun while playing from a MIDI keyboard. One would THINK that the ProTool Quartet would work flawlessly with ProTools, but it is working better with Cubase 8 at the 64 buffer.
Wow, canīt believe it actually. Those guys have been making the best audio recording software
for decades but are that bad in making hardware drivers.

This is really disappointing but good to know anyway.
I will be more careful recommending the Pro Tools versions of the Quartet and Duet in the future.

With my silver Apogee version of the Quartet there havenīt been such issues for all the 2 years I
have been using it (with different versions of OS X, on different hardware).
The 1st Mavericks driver was a bit unstable in a way but I never had those kinda issues and now
Apogeeīs Yosemite driver is the best one since I have got the Quartet.
Itīs super rock solid now and working like a charm with Yosemite, PT11, Logic X and all the other
applications on the system.
I can work at 64 samples buffer most of the time in PT11, only have to increase it at the point where
there are too many tracks, VIīs and plugins. Same in Logic Pro X.

But you know what, actually the bad Avid hardware drivers once were the reason why I gave up
my Digi 003R and replaced it with the Quartet.
Obviously there has not happened a real change in this department.

Iīm glad for you that you have found a way to work with it anyway because the stuff that comes
from Apogee originally (the converters, the mic pres, the simple yet smart hardware design etc.)
is just fantastic for this price range. Competing with much more expensive gear.

Wishing you the very best,

VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.10.1 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2
Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.3, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.

Last edited by VRW; 01-19-2015 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:46 AM

Snap! I'm not spending until I see a comprehensive independent review.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:05 AM

Hi Everyone, Im using Avid Protools duet for my PC for last 8 months. i've never suffered this much in my life with any hardware or software... its frustrating because my PC continuously gives Bluescreen even though i updated the Firmware literary everyday.. most biggest problem is at first it started to make crack and pop sounds and then all in sudden it gives BSOD in the middle of any project or when ever im playing any music in windows media player. Ive knocked Avid several times and i though they would help me but they never replied. im still using this DUET and still now it gives bluescreen of death to my pc... i dont know how to react on this. i though i could trust in Avid forum and its service..