Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2016, 10:13 AM

Default Just paid my yearly upgrade PT fee, feeling ill...

$399 for Pro Tools 12.5.2 HD (studio copy)
$99 for Academic PT 12.5.2. vanilla (laptop copy)
$498 total good til Sept. 17, 2017

Ok Avid - you've got my money for another year. I feel violently ill after being bled dry for so little in return. Namely...

1.) Still, after a year, have not fixed HD CORE AUDIO drivers in El Capitan OS X. Unbelieveable! This should work. It used to work. It's been asked for time and time again by all your users. Shocking disregard for what customers want. No make that subscribers!

2.) Features woefully behind the competition... How hard would it be to implement a few things from the ideascale? Like track presets? Or I/O presets so I can easily switch from headphone to speaker without screwing up my busses.

3.) Collaboration - F! - Let's face it, nobody's that into it. It was a good idea but you didn't foster a community and now nobody gives a hang. Worse you made your subscribers pay more for storage instead of including a reasonable amount and btw giving HD users and/or multi-license subscribers more storage. Total fail.

4.) HD users left in the dust. You should've slashed HDX card prices long ago and done a lot more to encourage developers to make AAX DSP versions. Now it's too late. The only reason to own an HDX card is for lower latency. HD users get practically nothing that PT vanilla users get but are charged lots more money. F!

5.) Half-hearted communication. You held one or two webinars, briefly responded to a few DUC comments. Now we get tumbleweeds. F!

6.) Crash! Crash! Crash! - I saved the best for last. Reliability. PT 12.5.2 crashes with unstable plugins like Audified's new GK2 Pro plugin. Then we're told - it's the plugin maker's fault. Is it? Has anyone from Avid written Audified to even try and work out the bugs? And not just this plugin but lots of others and routine crashes. My Mac Pro has 12 physical/24 virtual cores, Geekbench 30,000, 64 gb of RAM and SSD drives. It should be crashproof. F!

If this sounds harsh, sorry. I would like Avid to sit up and take notice that real users who pay good money for their subscriptions expect the results we were promised. Thanks for listening.
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 08-22-2016, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Just paid my yearly upgrade PT fee, feeling ill...

I know mine is coming in September....I just want a stable OS and stable PT.

12.5.1 isn't bad.....but as you said its core audio isn't functional
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:31 AM

"I just want a stable OS and stable PT. "

Which is why I'm content to stay on 12.4 HD and forgo the "support" plan. $399 for updates that don't work as well as what I already have is hard to justify.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:05 AM

But you stlll paid the money. That's how/why they do it.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:56 PM

I couldn't do it. I cant pay every year. Reasons:

1. PT is already the most expensive DAW on earth (literally)
2. The updates don't give you new usable features
3. You don't get any new plugins or cool stuff which would be WORTH the fee...I'd rather pay SLATE the same fee to have access to their ENTIRE line of plugins and any new ones that come out. Maybe Avid should work something out with waves that is similar....or offer their own complete line of equal quality plugins to include.
4. The support you pay for doesn't speak clear understandable English.
5. The support you pay for is reading a printed how to manual, they don't actually know the product or possess expertise.
6. The support you pay for doesn't get you any gear.
7. The support you pay for doesn't pave the way to HD after "x" years. If it eventually led to an upgrade after enough payments, it would be so worth it ( I am referring to owning the product, not renting it).
8. The support you pay for doesn't help you learn pro tools well enough to become certified in PT.
I love PT, but it's become a status symbol now...lots of perfectly usable options out there with equal results and a fraction of the cost. They also no longer support gear their customers paid THOUSANDS for. I'm so glad I didn't buy any of it and get ripped off like that.
I-7 Processor
16 GB or ram
2 Terabyte Glyph GPT 50
Fast Track Ultra 8R
Eleven Rack
Mackie universal control pro w/2 extenders, M-Audio trigger finger pro, Presonus monitor staion, Tannoy monitors, Lindell preamps/EQ's/Compressors, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:26 PM

I'm incredulous seeing someone pay and in the same breath moan about it.

It's folks like you who facilitate their bad behavior.

You know what you paid for....so suck it up man.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 08-22-2016, 09:13 PM

Unless you're completely satisfied, I think you have to stay with the plan. If you don't pay $399, it will be $999, and $1599 or something like that a year later. What is the point of that? I think we're all waiting for fixes. It just depends how much you want to spend to get a working version. I paid my $399. You have to make your own decision. But don't think that if you don't, they will back down and give it to you for free. That won't happen.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
Unless you're completely satisfied, I think you have to stay with the plan. If you don't pay $399, it will be $999, and $1599 or something like that a year later. What is the point of that?
At the rate Avid is moving, by the time I decide to upgrade (if I ever do), I will have saved the $1599 as well as not having to worry about being a beta tester. I have no interest in the new features to date, so that is the "point of that" IMHO.

If I did upgrade now though, I wouldn't do it then moan about it....especially with all the feedback available on the DUC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
But don't think that if you don't, they will back down and give it to you for free. That won't happen.
I agree.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 08-23-2016, 04:18 AM

12.5.2 worst pt version ever. I have been using pt singce it was sound designer.. luckily I still have my Hd accel system.. so clients won't through pies at me when 12 decides to wonk out digital distortion or just crash my computer.. glad I still have my pt10 system.. AVID wake up you screwed the pros now you teeing off the musicians. Your no longer the only viable game in town..
Old 08-23-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer View Post
12.5.2 worst pt version ever
Not even close. You didn't try each and every PT6 releases they put out, did you?