Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-31-2018, 12:14 AM

Default CPU spike AAE 9173

Im running Pro tools 2018.7 on a late 2015 iMac. High Sierra 10.13.6 This message disrupts my work flow on an intermittent basis. Avid support tell me I need to upgrade to 16GB of RAM. I can't though with this computer. I don't run large projects and just use std waves and sound toys pug ins for processing. The problem though can occur with no plug ins. So I don't believe its RAM dependent - nor do i want to buy a new computer. I have had this issue on my previous computer with earlier versions of pro tools so i am sceptical of buying a new computer anyhow. Anyone got any advice here? Cheers Tony
Old 12-31-2018, 02:03 AM

Default Re: CPU spike AAE 9173

There is a whole pile of standard troubleshooting steps you should be trying without needing to ask here. Start by reading “help us help you” up the top of each DUC web page.

Critical info missing is what IO buffer size are you using at what sample rate, or any clue what Mac you are running on or wether the system has been properly optimized or what interface you are using...

You especially need to test by trashing prefs, removing all .aaxplugin files (bad plugins installed in Pro Tools but not used can still cause exactly this problem), trying with built-in output as the playback engine, testing with new empty sessions and testing from a new admin account.

And importantly you should try disabling hyperthreading as discussed in several threads here. And what exact disk make/model are you recording to? Normally Disk cache covers many sins but if you are low on memory you are screwed there. And yes poor IO setups can trip up CPU errors. So how about telling us what exact model and spec Mac you have, coz we can’t guess that either.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:34 AM

Default Re: CPU spike AAE 9173

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyreed View Post
Im running Pro tools 2018.7 on a late 2015 iMac. High Sierra 10.13.6 This message disrupts my work flow on an intermittent basis. Avid support tell me I need to upgrade to 16GB of RAM. I can't though with this computer. I don't run large projects and just use std waves and sound toys pug ins for processing. The problem though can occur with no plug ins. So I don't believe its RAM dependent - nor do i want to buy a new computer. I have had this issue on my previous computer with earlier versions of pro tools so i am sceptical of buying a new computer anyhow. Anyone got any advice here? Cheers Tony
Pulling out my inner Baretta and going by the one clue you give us about not being able to change ram you're running a 21.5 inch iMac. But that's all I can concretely come up with. What's the system drive (stock is a 5400 rpm spinner)? CPU? I found a previous post of your where you state you're running El Crapitan. Is this the same computer as back then? If so how did you get to High Sierra? Clean install or the Apple Way which isn't a good thing?

What exactly are you doing when the 9173 shows up? Inserting/removing plugins? Quick starting/stopping transport? There is no such thing as standard Waves or Soundtoys plugins.

QAPLA!