Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Question Any advanced info on "Lion" compatibility yet?

I am planning to get a new iMac (mid 2011) and also updating to PT9 soon thereafter. I've been holding off on purchasing until the new operating system is released (Lion - 10.7) but I just had a thought about PT compatibility. Avid/Digi has been...slow in the past indicating compatibility with new OS's and I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of any significant changes to Core Audio in Lion? Perhaps a developer with a "seeded" copy has a comment? Would waiting for Lion be too risky for me at this point?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Any advanced info on "Lion" compatibility yet?

You might as well get the Imac now, because you'll be eligible to get Lion for free (having bought a new Mac between last week and when Lion is released).

You can just keep using Snow Leopard until Lion is tested and compatible with Protools.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 AM

Definitley buy now!!.. Lion is a major update you might be waiting a while to use protools with it.. and you will probably get it free.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:07 PM

I'd go ahead and get the iMac, but wait on installing Lion. I've been futzing around with Developer Builds 3 and 4 for a few weeks now. Logic works on both (naturally - Apple product), Pro Tools (both 8.0.5 LE and 9.0.2) won't start. Over the years I've noticed that Digi/Avid is (still!) notoriously slow with updates for new OSes.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM

Pro Tools as a full screen app would be pretty sweet!!!

Come on Avid!! They release the dev version early for a reason!!! Let's have a ready to rock pt9 for Lion in July!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax Productions View Post
Pro Tools as a full screen app would be pretty sweet!!!

Come on Avid!! They release the dev version early for a reason!!! Let's have a ready to rock pt9 for Lion in July!!!
I think there's an Aerosmith song perfect for ya.

It would be more than miraculous if a PT release was compatible with a brand new OS. I wouldn't want to anyway, as I have no patience for a .0 release operating system. I would expect a lot of compatibility issues for the first few months not just from the Avid side of things.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 AM

dream on ?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 AM

I agree with others. Get it now and upgrade later.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 06-16-2011, 06:53 AM

Well, just hope Lion addresses a major problem in the Thunderbolts iMacs, and MBPs, that is with the integrated Intel graphics and the third party GPU card, there is currently no preference to lock the OS to one or the other.

So, currently, they swap cards automatically per anticipated need, and that may cause a recording glitch (DPC) or spike. At least there is a real possibility. This is with Sno Leo, so let us hope Apple provides an optimization preference for real-time audio - video in LION and allows a choice of which card to use (hi-resolution requires the Radeon)... but, users of Sno Leo are finding the OS changes on-the-fly.

Some reviewers are suggesting a third party app may have to be written, which means Apple may intend to keep this power switching mode automatic. It only saves one hour of battery life on the new 15" MBP thunderbolt (Intel integrated graphics if the Radeon doesn't kick in).
Old 06-16-2011, 02:14 PM

I personally like the auto switching..... yes may cause a glitch but why would you be switching while running or recording in PT? I LOVE the fact that I can simply unplug my Interface and it automatically routes to the internal sound card....... LOVE that as an option... maybe there could be a checked (or non-checked) box to allow us to determine what we want it to do???

One thing I did read about LION is that it will install over S Leap leaving all your programs and files intact.... THAT is most of the battle.... then there are the drivers.... just glad Im not running on a PC.... now that's a driver nightmare!