Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-12-2001, 09:50 AM

Default Turning mono to stereo

Hi,
A friend has asked me for some help...

They have a mono orchestral track that they would like to have sound 'better' and wondered if there was anything I could do. I said I'd be happy to try.

This is for a live Christmas coral performance, the quality doesn't have to be great, and I'll just burn them a new CD.

I'm going to search the web tonight for 'simulated stereo', but wondered what simple ideas people have used to do this sort of thing?

(And please keep it simple. I only have the standard Digi plug-ins.)

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-12-2001, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Turning mono to stereo

Marc- Im not sure how to deal with a mono orchestral track, but Ive had good luck with simpler instruments like acoustic guitar - I would duplicate the track and pan it. then play with a short delay on each track, shifting each track in time by a different amount and experimenting with mixing back the dry signal on each. Very effective on guitar - orchestral may be a bit complex - may turn out like a pile of mud. Hope this helps. Also - what version of cacheman are you using? I forgot to ask earlier. Thanks.
Matt
Old 11-12-2001, 01:06 PM

If you just want to inhance it a bit and add some stereo imaging try...
Creat a stereo Aux input track. Add the stereo D-Verb to it as a plug-in. Assign bus 1-2 to the input of this aux track.
Now, assign bus 1-2 for the output of the mono track. Now you should be able to have stereo reverb that you can play with. You can do the same with a limiter to maximize volume.
WD EIDE 10GB
WD EIDE 250GB
XP Pro SP1
ProTools LE 6.4
Old 11-13-2001, 12:14 AM

Matt,
Thanks for the ideas. I'll give that a try, on both the track in question and my acoustic guitar. Probably a good idea to make sure I'm doing things OK with a simple source in parallel with the more complex sounds.

I had been using Cacheman version 4.5 for about 6 months, but since I'm getting dangerously close to people thinking I'm recommending it, I though it best to update to the current version on the website, which I believe is 5.0. I did make some changes to the settings after installation, but I think that the standard installation, and then you choosing the option 'One program with lots of disk activity' will work just fine.

Again, I am NOT recommending this program, I'm just telling folks what I'm doing in the spirit of full disclosure.

Regards,
Mark