Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-07-2017, 07:17 PM

Default Upgrading Plug-Ins

OK. I have PT 10.3.1 installed on Windows 10 for about a year, and getting ready to install v12. But before I do that, I want to complete the plug-in upgrade process from my previous version of PT 8, which was on a Mac G5.

I am confused about how to go about doing that. I can look at my iLok manager and see which plug ins I had on PT 8, and what I have on my new iLok on PT10. Do I just transfer between the iLoks? Or is there a place on the Avid website with plugin update instructions.

Any advice would help.

Media Man
Old 02-07-2017, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Upgrading Plug-Ins

Not sure I am clear on your issue, but...Since you are moving from 10.x to 12.x. none of your current plugins will work as they are installed. Also, since this is a HUGE move, I suggest being "smart" about it by starting fresh(and a blank drive) and reload everything from scratch. I would remove your current OS drive and set it aside*

Install a fresh drive(preferably, a good SSD like a Samsung 840/850 EVO) and load up your OS, PACE(iLok). Check for(and install) the latest drivers for your system(network, chipset, graphics card, etc) and tweak all the required settings**

Install Pro Tools 12.x and the Creative Collection(the package of plugins like MiniGrand, DB-33, etc) and do some basic testing***

If things seem to be working well, install the rest of your plugins from the latest installers(PT10 used AAX32 and RTAS, while PT12 ONLY uses AAX64 versions). Do another round of testing****

*by saving your current drive, you can swap this drive back in if you suddenly find you NEED to re-open old sessions(with your old plugins).

**this would be a good point to save a drive image.

***this is a good point for saving a second drive image

****a good time for a 3rd drive image

Why all the drive images? It makes it simple to recover your system to any of those levels of software installations AOMEI Backupper, Macrium Reflect and Acronis True Image are good choices for drive imaging and cloning on PC.

You might also get a utility such as MacDrive(Mediafour) or Paragon HFS+ so your Windows machine can read drives that were(are) formatted for your old Mac

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-08-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Not sure I am clear on your issue, but...Since you are moving from 10.x to 12.x. none of your current plugins will work as they are installed.
My issue is simple. I wish to upgrade my PT 8 plug-ins ... currently on a Mac ... to my new PT 10.3.1 install on a PC. It is confusing because it is on a different computer, different OS, different iLok, different PT version. I'm trying to figure out how to start. I am sure it's not as easy as moving the license.

When I install 12.x at a later date, I will worry about the rest at that time.

Media Man
Old 02-08-2017, 09:26 AM

Okay, going from 8 to 10, I still recommend pulling your current system drive(or at least saving a drive image). The reason is simple; if something goes sour with the update, you can revert back in case you need to get work done.

You will start by uninstalling LE8(with this jump, I would also remove prefs and database files). after a reboot, install the latest PACE software. I would also move all your iLok licenses onto an iLok 2(if you are still using the old "key-shaped" iLok). Next, install the driver for your interface(starting with PT9, the driver is a separate download and install and should be done BEFORE installing Pro Tools). Then run the 10 installer(10.3.8 was the most solid for me, but 10.3.1 was good as well). All stock plugins will come in with the new install, BUT, IIRC, a couple were replaced with new versions that may not load up as before(just a warning to be prepared for some minor changes). Now since 10 still can use RTAS, you might be able to find the old versions in the Plugins(unused) folder and move them back to the Plugins folder(which should make them work just as before). Some 3rd party plugins will need to be updated or replaced(I remember AutoTune 3 would crash every time).

Next thing to keep in mind is; starting with 10, the session file format is changed, so all your old sessions will open fine, but you will be asked to "Save As" when you close. I would simply save each session as "songname_PT10" so you know which sessions have been updated

Old 02-08-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Okay, going from 8 to 10, I still recommend pulling your current system drive(or at least saving a drive image).
albee, I appreciate your help, but you're not reading my post correctly.

PT 8 is installed on a Mac, with a bunch of plug-ins, and yes, an "old" iLok. Been there for years.

PT 10.3.1 is ALREADY installed on a DIFFERENT Windows 10 computer for over a year. ... and I have a "new" iLok 2.

The ONLY thing I need to do right now is move / upgrade whatever plug-ins are upgrade-able from PT8 on the Mac .... to PT 10.3.1 on the PC. I suspect some will not work.

I am looking for advice on how to get started, such as transferring the iLok licenses. Then, how do I go about finding the newer version of the plug-ins to download? If you have a suggestion, I am all ears.

Media Man
Old 02-08-2017, 01:17 PM

The good news is, pt 10 can still use your old RTAS plugins.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:21 PM

Just move licenses to the iLok2 and install your plugins on the PC

Old 02-21-2017, 08:56 PM

OK, after battling with this for a while, I found an Avid "Plugin Compatability" page for upgrading to PT 10. It has links to all of the Pro Tools plugins from Avid as well as all third party, with a link to the plugin page and instructions on how to upgrade.

I hope a similar page exists for upgrading to PT 12, which is my next step.

Media Man