Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-19-2007, 11:05 PM

Default Pro Tools wont boot after updating to osx 10.4.9

Hi,

I ran software update this morning which updated Itunes and OSX, after I restarted the machine Pro tools wouldn't boot. The icon would bounce up and down once in the dock and that was the end of it. i did all the usual trashing of preferences/databases but it didnt make a difference so i reinstalled protools 7.3.1cs1, this didnt help either, so i uninstalled itunes thinking the new version might be conflicting with tools. no joy there either.

I was pretty lost at this stage thinking i was gonna have to re-install the OS and all my apps but i thought id create a new user and give that a go. Pro Tools boots with the new user and managed to open a few projects, except for the one i need to open. During the opening of this particular project tools would just disssapear, so i try to reopen but the icon just bounced up and down then just sat there like it did before. And again i couldn't boot tools after restarting/trashing preferences etc.

Sooooo,

I create another user, boot tools, create a new project and use import session data to import all my tracks from the "corrupt" project, but tools crashes and wont re-boot - even after a restart.

so im beginning to think i have a corrupt plugin

So i create yet another user, remove the "filterfreak" plugin from the plugins folder, boot tools, import session data again and finally i have my project back!

So i login as administrator as i usually do but tools still wont boot!!!! even without the "filterfreak" plugin!

I hope that makes sense!

Sorry for the long message guys, but its been a long afternoon and im at an absolute loss.

Any help at all would be great.

Here's the details of my system

MACPRO 2.6
OSX 10.4.9 (everything was working fine on 10.4.8)
HD2
PTHD 7.3.1cs1
4g RAM
Canopus ADVC100
96 io
Sync io

Cheers

Sam
Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools wont boot after updating to osx 10.4.9

Did you update via the combo updater?

Digidesign Instructions for 10.4.9
Old 03-20-2007, 12:21 AM

it is a bit late, but.... for next time.... just so you know.....

1) never update beyond what digi approves (and 10.4.9 is not approved currently)

2) always CLONE your system drive (using superduper) to another drive as a backup before any software update.. or OS update

3) always use combo updaters, never use 'software update'

FWIIW
Old 03-20-2007, 01:48 AM

You guys are living legends!

I hadn't heard of the combo updater before - but i downloaded it, ran it and all my problems have gone!

Ill take your advice on board and never install an update that digi havent supported yet.

Thanks again

Sam
Old 03-20-2007, 01:48 AM

You guys are living legends!

I hadn't heard of the combo updater before - but i downloaded it, ran it and all my problems have gone!

Ill take your advice on board and never install an update that digi havent supported yet.

Thanks again

Sam