Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 07-18-2018, 06:28 PM

Default .midname files won't load on MIDI tracks

i'm down the rabbit hole of trying to make articulation changes work with program changes.

i've created a custom .midname file-- which is actually not even working right, but that's a different issue (if anyone has a patch file editor for PC let me know, sucks CherryPicker is only for Mac)

i have an instrument track hosting VEP and several MIDI tracks running to it. When I try to open the custom .midname file, it opens on the instrument track, but i need it to load on the MIDI track. Is there a titling issue preventing PT from opening it?

I'm on PC running PT 2018.4 on Windows 10 (part of the reason I can't just use CherryPicker to make the .midname file)

I've read through the .midname sticky, unfortunately most of the info relevant to me is for Mac users
Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 AM

Default Re: .midname files won't load on MIDI tracks

Beuller?
Old 07-28-2018, 06:26 PM

I use midnam files fundamentally for exposing patch names from hardware based midi devices i.e reverbs, delays and synths. The normal behavior is to open on the instrument track for the device I need and expose the available patch names for selection. The file then sends the correct bank and patch communications information and the external hardware switches to the selected sound or preset.

Not clear on what VEP is. If it's a soft synth then it should already have presets available. Midnam files don't open on midi tracks. Never seen that approach and not sure how it could work.

midnam is tricky, very dependent on correct spacing and special characters like the ampersand (&). I generally find a midnam associated with an existing device and modify to my needs and use Notepad in Windows to modify files.

Maybe I'm not understanding your approach but it sounds like you are expecting midnam files to operate in a way they weren't designed.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
Not clear on what VEP is. If it's a soft synth then it should already have presets available. Midnam files don't open on midi tracks. Never seen that approach and not sure how it could work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSAO2rym-sQ

VEP is Vienna Ensemble Pro. This guy is doing it but on instrument tracks. the point of doing it this way would be so you don't have to use key switches which can be hard to keep track of between multiple instruments with different ranges, and also cleaned out for transfer to notation software, as well as just working faster in the pro tools window rather than swapping between plug in windows.

I usually host the VEP server plugin (which connects to VEP) on an instrument track and then route MIDI. I have made the program change work on the MIDI track, I just can't get the midname file to open in the Program Change window.

You say it can't work that way, is there a reason beyond Pro Tools for this?
Old 07-31-2018, 07:26 PM

and just clear up the "Why" for why I want the PC window/lane to show patch names, obviously it would be much easier and more elegant to open program change and select "Staccato" or "Performance Legato" than remember the 0/32 CC numbers and type that in, and I would also see the name in the PC lane and know what's there.

basically, it would be like a poor man's expression maps for people not working in Cubase.