Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2010, 04:09 PM

Default Re: 64 bit compatibility

Yes , I run Kore2 in PT M-powered 8 and apart from one or two occasional errors everything works out fine, I even run Omnisphere and Trilian inside Kore2 because of the rating system for sounds, I have my Kore2 very organized literally spent days rating and categorizing around 10,000 sounds, so when I need a sound I know how and where to get it. I'm sure there's a lot of people running Kore on PT, there have been some problems but with the help of everyone in forums (DUC and NI) and the support teams there's always a solution. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying everything is wonderful, but I'm a songwriter, and I also mix my work and others, I'm used to PT and like working with it, so the thing that is really annoying me right now is the amount of RAM that I need and that I can't use.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 AM

FWIW, I've been running PT 8.0.3 in Win7 64-bit RC for a couple of months now and it runs great. I even have access to all of my older 32 bit plugs (mostly Waves) and they run well also. UAD cards seem to work fine also, although I haven't used them exhaustively.

I recently installed NI Komplete also, and it seems to run fine also, although it is too new for me to vouch for totally.

Just remember that Digi states that 8.0.3 is a beta in 64 bit Windows, but the next regular update in 32 bit Windows. Same file download though. You don't need to sign up for their beta test program to use it.

You might try installing your Win7 copy in a dual-boot configuration. That way you can test PT on 64 bit OS in your environment while retaining the ability to get work done with your previous installation if things go south.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:15 PM

To do what you want (access more than 2GB of RAM), you either need a 64-bit daw (Cakewalk, Cubase, n-track, etc...) or you need a plug-in/DAW that is 32-bits but knows how to access memory outside the 32-bit limitation (I think Kontakt can do this?).

/3GB is not going to work well for you. For one-thing, it only works on programs that are marked "Large Address Aware", and last I checked Pro Tools is not.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:29 PM

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=212853

This tread has a very good and long discussion about the PT access to RAM, and for what I've been reading it seems PT8 doesn't need to be patched with masm32 or laatido, but yes what I need for what I want is a 64bit daw and I'm just waiting for Digidesign to make it happen. I've been trying out current versions of other daws for PC (very fast, not much time for this type of challenges) and I'm not really amazed, I like Ableton Live (but that's a completely new way of working, maybe I'll integrate in my work but not as my major Daw), I've always liked Samplitude, and also think Sonar is nice but I'm really not ready to loose my investment in PT.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgb View Post
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=212853

This tread has a very good and long discussion about the PT access to RAM, and for what I've been reading it seems PT8 doesn't need to be patched with masm32 or laatido, but yes what I need for what I want is a 64bit daw and I'm just waiting for Digidesign to make it happen. I've been trying out current versions of other daws for PC (very fast, not much time for this type of challenges) and I'm not really amazed, I like Ableton Live (but that's a completely new way of working, maybe I'll integrate in my work but not as my major Daw), I've always liked Samplitude, and also think Sonar is nice but I'm really not ready to loose my investment in PT.
I love Ableton, very easy to use and converting from Ableton to PT wasn't any problem at all. Sure each software will have things a little different from each other but overall Ableton is a really good program.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrazer View Post
/3GB is not going to work well for you. For one-thing, it only works on programs that are marked "Large Address Aware", and last I checked Pro Tools is not.
PT is Large Address Aware as of 8.0. Digi came through on that one with out being asked.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88