Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM

Default Do I need a new rig?

Hey everyone.

I'm very new to this forum, so many thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer. I've been using Pro Tools for about 7 years. I've been wanting to update my system to something better for a while, but have been unable in the past due to budgetary constraints. Here is my current setup:

Mac Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5
Mac OSX 10.5.8
7 GB DDR SDRAM
Pro Tools LE 8.0 (original MBox interface)
Reason 4.0 (Engine Build 905)

I've been experiencing a lot of -9136 errors lately when using ProTools in conjunction with Reason, which has made me wonder how/if I can further optimize my system for performance. I've also followed and completed all the steps in the Optimzation Guide & General Troubleshooting guide offered through this forum.

Here's some general info on my setup when recording
**I pull my files from an external Lacie 1TB FireWire hard drive.
**I record at 24bit 44.1kHz and have my Playback Engine set to 1024 Samples, 2 Processors, & 90% CPU Usage (I've also tried using only 1 Processor but still get the same -9136 result).
**I get -9136 errors regardless of my playback buffer size and cache size.
**I never run any other programs except ProTools and Reason when recording.
**I'm not using a USB hub, and Airport is turned off.
**I have switched my original MBox USB cord to input from both the front & back ports on the tower but still receive -9136 errors.

Basically, I'm wondering if my system is just too old and out of date to effectively run ProTools and Reason together effectively. Sometimes I have up to 12 Reason devices running through PT in ReWire, which I know can drain a lot of from my CPU. I know I can bounce them out, but I'd rather not if possible. Regardless, is there something I'm forgetting that would further optimize my system, or at this point should I simply starting thinking about starting from scratch with something new? If you think I should upgrade, I'd deeply appreciate your input some good hardware options to consider.

Once again, thank you all so much for your patience and advice.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Do I need a new rig?

Hi,

I would upgrade your interface to a 003 Rack or even a newer Mbox. I am also running a G5 and I love it! You're playback engine seems a bit high for recording but not for mixing. You may want to also consider adding more Ram. If your machine is like mine, you can add up to 16 gigs of ram. Also, make sure you're audio drive is set up correctly using disk utility.

Hope this helps man! Happy recording!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:35 PM

a full rebuild may help
from a fresh OS install to a fresh install of all applications

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-07-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
a full rebuild may help
from a fresh OS install to a fresh install of all applications
That would be my advice as well. And PT can't access more than 4gb ram so if you're not using a large amount of virtual instruments and sampleplayers, I wouldn't use money on more ram.
I would be looking around for a used multicore intel CPU mac. The difference in processing power is vast. Unless you use very little RTAS and don't need it.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:55 AM

Check out Logic Studio 9. Since Avid took over Pro Tools and Sibelius, both software packages have suffered and the future looks grim.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will try a full rebuild first and see if that improves my performance. If not, I may look into getting a used or maybe even a new Intel multi-core (although I'm not sure which one would be best).

I've also never used Logic before, but have heard good things about it. I'm hesitant to make a switch like that since I've used PT for so long, am comfortable with it, and am vary of investing in additional software unless it's hands down an improvement. But trying it out certainly wouldn't hurt of course.

Regardless, I will try the rebuild and see how that goes.

Thanks again for your time and assistance!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Nash View Post
Hi,

I would upgrade your interface to a 003 Rack or even a newer Mbox. I am also running a G5 and I love it! You're playback engine seems a bit high for recording but not for mixing. You may want to also consider adding more Ram. If your machine is like mine, you can add up to 16 gigs of ram. Also, make sure you're audio drive is set up correctly using disk utility.

Hope this helps man! Happy recording!
You're running PT8 on a PPC?

Quote:
Pro Tools HD, LE, and M-Powered 8.0.3, 8.0.4, and 8.0.5 are free updates for all Pro Tools 8 owners. Version 8.0.5 supports the following Mac OS X versions, on Intel-based Macs only:
  • Mac OS X 10.6.1 – 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
  • Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
To update Mac OS X 10.6 for Pro Tools 8.0.5 compatibility, the following update is recommended:
To update to Pro Tools 8.0.5, see the following:
Pro Tools HD 8.1.1 is a free update for Pro Tools HD 8 owners. Pro Tools HD 8.1.1 supports the following Mac OS X versions, on Intel-based Macs only:
  • Mac OS X 10.6.2 – 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard)
To update Mac OS X 10.6 for Pro Tools HD 8.1.1 compatibility, the following update is recommended:
To update to Pro Tools 8.1.1, see the following:
Not Compatible with Mac OS X 10.6
Pro Tools 8.0.3 software and higher does not support some retired products:
  • Original Mbox
  • Expansion|HD Chassis
  • Macintosh PowerPC Computers
The language is kinda confusing, but I was under the impression that 7.4.3 was the highest you could go on a PPC

To the OP, I'd consider upgrading the original MBox, that's probably your biggest bottleneck, if the OS & Pro Tools versions are ok.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 AM

I've been running PT 8.0.0 on my PPC G5 for a couple years now actually. I'm in the middle of the complete system rebuild, which will tell me if I have any issues with my OS (hopefully not!).

Regardless, my next questions would be about looking for new hardware:

1) If I were to look into a new computer, how many core processors should I be looking for? (1 quad, 2 quads, etc)

2) What would some good interface upgrade options be? (new Mbox, 003 rack, etc) I only need a couple inputs at one time since I'm recording mostly VIs one at a time usually. Would upgrading my original Mbox to something different improve performance due to using a FW connection instead of USB? Or is there something else I'm forgetting?

I'm trying to create a semi-pro studio where I can record (using mostly VIs), then bring what I've created into a pro studio at a later date to finish projects. Therefore, I probably don't need the top of the line in every category, just some gear that will operate properly and effectively.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:53 PM

Hey BC,
Sorry to bother you. I noticed in your post that you are using a Apple PowerPC G5 and that you are happy with it. I have just taken ownership of a G5 and I am interested in turning this computer into a Pro Tools rig. it is a 2006 2.5Ghz Dual-core. Basically, it is the last Power PC before the Intel chip. Do you think that this PPC is worth investing into?
I am currently using an Intel 20" iMac 2Ghz Dual core with PT 7.3 and I have been very satisfied with this set-up. Although most of my colleagues have moved onto more sophisticated systems, I don't hear or see anything that would make me want to spend 20k on a new PT set-up. Some advice?
Thank you,
Rudy
Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 PM

The G5's are perfectly usable for good track counts and moderate plugin use.

If your coming from an intel iMac your going to be dissapointed, the CPU meter creeps up really fast on a PPC. You will Have the benefit of internal sata drives but that's about it.