Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 05-30-2008, 11:44 AM

Default ProTools MP 7.4.2pr - Doesn\'t work at all on OSX 10.5.3

I've just installed the 7.4.2pr on my new MacBook Pro. The machine is only 2 weeks old and so won't boot Tiger so I've been waiting for this release. I have updated to 10.5.3 yesterday.

The installation of 7.4.2pr seemed to be fine it seems to boot OK and it gets to the stage where it's finished loading and you can adjust the hardware setup and ProTools preferences with no actual session open. That's as far as it goes.

It won't create a new session or load an existing one and just goes to the 'spinning wheel of death'. The Finder cannot force quit the non-responding app either. It tries but then reports the application quit whilst unresponsive, the red ProTools M-Powered (not responding) never leaves the force quit window, and the whole machine has to shut down by holding the power key in the end! This is incidentally EXACTLY what MP 7.4 (Tiger version) did on the new MacBook Pro if I tried to boot it before the install of 7.4.2pr. I've left it not responding for 15 mins - nothing changes.

I've tried un installing and re-installing 7.4.2pr. No different.

Any helpful suggestions or folks out there with the same problem?

Anybody actually have it working on a new (non Tiger bootable) MacBookPro?

Regards.

Miles.

MacBookPro 2.4Ghz with M-Audio Transit
Old 05-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Avid

Default Re: ProTools MP 7.4.2pr - Doesn\'t work at all on OSX 10.5.3

When you did an uninstall - did you choose 'Clean' rather than 'Safe'?

Have you tried all the steps in the OS X Setup and General Troubleshooting thread yet?

Most importantly, did you install the lastest Leopard driver for the Transit?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:02 PM

Ok. Got to the bottom of it now and it works!

I decided to try it with my ProFire LightBridge and 7.4.2pr works fine with that so the problem was elsewhere.

On my first tests I'd had a 4 way USB hub in place, but to test the LightBridge, I took away the hub & I had the iLok directly in one USB slot by itself. All cool. PT working...... so for the next test I restarted, and put the Transit in the MacBookPro's 2nd USB slot. It works fine.

The problem was the Transit going through a USB hub. I don't know if this is a known problem.

The irony is that my previous system MP 7.3 on a Titanium - Protools actually preferred the hub - if you didn't have the Transit and the iLok on the same USB bus in that hub, PT would frequently not see one of the two whilst loading!!

So there you go. The iLok is quite happy to be on the USB hub (it's a passive 4-way ednet) together with a Logitech Marble Mouse Trackball and the Transit is in the 2nd USB by itself.

I messed around afterwards with Apple System Prefs and the Sound panel isn't stable at all with the Transit on the hub - I got it to freeze twice, so this could be an Apple problem or possibly a M-Audio Leopard driver issue.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Avid

Actually, I would say the fact that it's a passive hub is more likely the cause. Usually a powered hub will work much, much better, though it can vary quite a bit between manufacturers. Best to test one before committing to buying it.

A passive hub is just recipe for disaster, as far as we've seen...!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:51 AM

i would never put my audio interface on a hub of any kind.....
Old 06-02-2008, 10:17 AM

I agree really..... I would never have put the audio interface on a hub if I was doing this from scratch (and/or) thinking logically.....

......it's just my previous system (MP 7.3 on a Titanium 10.4.x) liked that hub! It frequently wouldn't load PT saying it couldn't see either the Transit or the iLok until I made sure they were always together on the hub - then it worked every time. I think the Titanium's USB implementation was probably to blame for that, but the hub did cure the problem.

Anyway, thanks for your input on the subject and it all works well now. And thanks to Digidesign - as always.... better late than never!!!!

Now, if can you can make a 'Music Production Toolkit' upgrade so 32ins and outs work with the Profire Lightbridge I'll be happy!

Regards.

Miles. (in rainy London)