Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 AM

Default Aphex Aural Exciter and Big Bottom Pro AAX?

I am wandering does Avid plan to move Aphex Aural Exciter and Big Bottom to AAX and in which period?
I used to work with this outstanding plug-ins which saved me several times with bad quality track from filming set or helped to reach needed transparency and legibility.
It would be very sad if Avid will leave this bundle overboard. I tested numbers of similar plug-ins including iZotope Ozone and did't find some comparable with Aphex concerning precision, transparency and flexibility. It's IMHO but if here is someone agree with all of this, please, support this topic to make me fill I'm not alone in this desire .
I've wrote to Aphex support and they answered that Aphex Aural Exciter and Big Bottom Pro Bundle is only Avid (Digidesign) product so they cannot help.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Aphex Aural Exciter and Big Bottom Pro AAX?

I have a bad feeling about this;

Either AVID has had no time for those nice licensed plugins (Line6, Drawmer, Aphex, Dolby) just yet

...or they have plans to *NOT* port them over.

I myself would want to get the Drawmer Dynamics but I think we've lost them all.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I have a bad feeling about this;

Either AVID has had no time for those nice licensed plugins (Line6, Drawmer, Aphex, Dolby) just yet

...or they have plans to *NOT* port them over.

I myself would want to get the Drawmer Dynamics but I think we've lost them all.
Gosh I hope that doesn't turn out to be true... AVID???
Old 03-03-2013, 10:35 PM

I surely hope so too. And we do have hope: there is a Focusrite D2/D3 AAX version already, but I have not heard anything about the other licensed plugs.

Probably those which already had a RTAS version are a lot easier to port, which is likely why the Focusrite is already available. Aphex and Drawmer for example are TDM-only and I fear there is not much interest in porting them over -- or, which is worse, the licensing contract may insist that the code can only run on Digidesign/Avid hardware, a.k.a. DSP card, which would mean no native version ever.

We don't know and Avid won't tell until there is something to be released.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM

As always, I can't comment on what we're working on or what our current priorities are, but we are keeping track of what you all are asking for. And that feedback does affect our internal priorities.

I think this might be the vaguest post I have ever made here. But I wanted to let you know that we do read this and listen.

Dave
Old 03-04-2013, 02:44 PM

Like others above, I'd like to see the Drawmer and Aphex plugins ported over to AAX.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
Like others above, I'd like to see the Drawmer and Aphex plugins ported over to AAX.
Truthfully they need to stick the previous MO and update all the plugs. They need to do this from a recall stand point. Obviously ther going to be some partners that have folded ot left the fold. But any Digi or Avid distributed plugs should eventually get released.

While it's not anyones favorite but mine I'll miss Slightly Rude Compressor.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I have a slightly rude neighbor plugin that I'm no longer in need of if you want it...
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:24 PM

there is a huge like on Avid plug-ins that are dead and will not be ported to AAX ever. Avid does do care anymore about servicing long time customers anymore go out an buy new crappy sounding Pro plug-ins.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Truthfully they need to stick the previous MO and update all the plugs. They need to do this from a recall stand point. Obviously ther going to be some partners that have folded ot left the fold. But any Digi or Avid distributed plugs should eventually get released.

I can certainly understand your sentiment, but there are factors to consider.

The first is whether we have the source code or rights to the source code. Many of the avid distributed plug-ins we're simply that, distributed. Plug-in manufacturers gave fully complete plug-ins to Avid to distribute without source code. These situations are actually quite common and we simply have no course of action for those except to engage the third party companies who own the rights. And we do this regularly. (The situation is comparable to claiming that Best Buy is responsible for your computer not being capable of running Windows 8.) If you guys really want specific plug-ins that were just Avid distributed, I suggest you contact the authors of those plug-ins and convince them to port.

The other factor to consider is that some of our old plug-ins just aren't that good. The plug-in market has seen huge signal quality advances with increases in CPU power, and products from third parties absolutely kill them. (If I could draw another analogy, it's kind of like saying that MacPaint should have been ported to OSX.) There is also a balance between us doing all of that work or focusing on Pro Tools features or new plug-ins that are really good and can compete with third party offerings.

I know for a fact that the product managers making the priority decisions read these forums and take your feedback into account.

Dave