Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2018, 05:36 AM

Default Re: What's it going to take to get Eucon to follow Nuendo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q View Post
The integration with Cubase/Nuendo is excellent. I'd say definitely better than any other controller unless you're getting a Nuage or S6. BUT you have to be able to live with the hiding channels issue discussed in this thread and also the issue whereby you get slight errors in volume when you bank through tracks and then touch a fader. I think these are really the only BIG issues that you need to be aware of.
Wait, what? I just noticed this about the volume. I don't have that problem with the Mix units. What kind of errors are we talking about here +/- 002db, 1db, 5db? How slight is slight and has it been addressed since your post?
Old 08-28-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
Wait, what? I just noticed this about the volume. I don't have that problem with the Mix units. What kind of errors are we talking about here +/- 002db, 1db, 5db? How slight is slight and has it been addressed since your post?
The size of the error varies but can generally be anything in the 0 - 0.3dB range. As it happens, I usually automate my channel volumes pretty much immediately when I begin a project. It's always been part of my method but if I didn't work this way, I would find this issue VERY annoying. Even with my method, it is still quite annoying that they will not fix this FUNDAMENTAL problem.

Try this:
1. Set a channel to 0dB
2. Bank to a new set of tracks which are set at different volumes (causing the faders to move).
3. Bank back to your original tracks.
4. Touch the fader that was set at 0dB

You will probably find that this causes the track volume to change slightly and it will no longer be at exactly 0dB. Now... do this hundreds of times during the course of a production and your mix is gradually getting wrecked!

Potential work around:
Don't select tracks by touching faders. Instead use the somewhat fiddly Select buttons. (ONLY touch faders if you actually need to change the volume or write automation).

I used to have Mix units too and as far as I recall, I experienced the same issue.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:58 AM
Avid

This has to do with the fader tables Steinberg uses. It doesn't get worse and worse though if you keep touching the faders. It just jumps to the nearest value in their table and stays there.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
This has to do with the fader tables Steinberg uses. It doesn't get worse and worse though if you keep touching the faders. It just jumps to the nearest value in their table and stays there.
Agreed it doesn't get worse if you keep touching the fader WITHOUT BANKING, but imagine this scenario....

My kick drum on track 1 is set to 0dB.
I bank to my synth track (causing the faders to move).
Now I bank back to my kick track and touch the fader... ...which moves it to -0.25dB

Whilst I'm working on this production over days/weeks/months, the above may be repeated hundreds of times so my kick track could end up at god knows what volume! :)

VERY frustrating to see this issue going unresolved for years but from what I can gather, the ball is in Steinberg's court.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:48 PM
Avid

Can I clarify...You say banking causes this. I found it to be the touching of the fader, not banking? I'm pretty sure it doesn't keep jumping in the same direction indefinity...as this would be a different cause.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:50 AM

It is not banking that directly causes it. It is banking and THEN touching a fader. What I am seeing is:

Whenever I do ANYTHING that causes the fader to be repositioned (that could be banking to a track that has a different volume, it could be enabling Flip faders, it could be enabling Trim automation etc.) ...If I then return to my original track, the first time I touch that fader on the S3, it will almost always report an incorrect volume, causing the track volume in Cubase to be altered. If I then touch the fader a second/third/fourth time there will be no problem. It is ONLY the first time I touch a fader AFTER it has been repositioned.

So, if I just had a project with 16 tracks, I do no banking/flipping/Trim, everything would be 100% fine.

This issue has existed for all the time I have used Eucon (Avid S3 and previously Artist Mix). I guess that must be five years.