Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 01-20-2015, 02:18 PM

Default S3L-X Stagebox 16 compatibility with other Avid?

Hello, I am thinking of taking an S3lx out on the road. I like it because of it's size and flexibility. I'm thinking of using it as a portable in ear rig that can both be left on stage or brought out to FOH with me in smaller venues.

In this scenario what would be the best option for tying this system in with fixed systems in venues? Can you get the Stage 16 boxes to communicate with a Profile or SC 48? Would I have to use a split snake to tie into an existing system?What is the compatibility of the Stage 16 box?

Also, does the S3LX provide a fader flip mode for easy buss mixing?
Old 01-20-2015, 02:53 PM

Default Re: S3L-X Stagebox 16 compatibility with other Avid?

Is 16 in/8 out all you need? You might be happier with a Behringer X32rack and iPads for control Seriously, this setup works very well and I have a setup with an analog splitter in the bottom of the rack(with a fan to feed FOH), the X32rack, an S16 IO box(for a full 32x16 In/Out) and 6 Sennheiser G2 IEM systems on an antennae combiner. Plenty of shows are done with FOH being mixed on an iPad(and everyone on stage controls their own mix via iPad or iPhone app). If you something a bit "classier" the Midas M32 is a great console(and also can use wifi/iPad control). Food for thought

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-20-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Is 16 in/8 out all you need? You might be happier with a Behringer X32rack and iPads for control Seriously, this setup works very well and I have a setup with an analog splitter in the bottom of the rack(with a fan to feed FOH), the X32rack, an S16 IO box(for a full 32x16 In/Out) and 6 Sennheiser G2 IEM systems on an antennae combiner. Plenty of shows are done with FOH being mixed on an iPad(and everyone on stage controls their own mix via iPad or iPhone app). If you something a bit "classier" the Midas M32 is a great console(and also can use wifi/iPad control). Food for thought
The x32 option is definitely on the table. We are looking for higher fidelity at FOH though and I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone with the S3L-X so as not to have to lug around or rent a split snake. We will probably be looking at 29 channels.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:21 PM

Why not put the stage box onstage and take the surface to FOH, then drive FOH from local outputs and use the stage box to drive monitors? If you do both FOH and MON you can get away with only running ethernet and basically bypassing the house snake system. If you want to use your desk and theirs, there's pretty much no way around a splitter.

Regarding X32's... When I was into 2-stroke engines, we had a saying: "fast, cheap, and reliable - pick 2" and think with an adjective substitution or two, its more than apropos when it comes to cheap digital mixers.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Avid

It's a fantastic desk for mixing IEMs especially since it has both EQs and compresssors/limiters on every output, which is pretty fantastic for IEM sends.

The Stage 16 doesn't communicate with Profile or SC48 consoles, but you can very easily use two S3L surfaces with a single set of S16 stage racks.

Realistically, you will want a split racked up with the stage rack if you're planning to carry only one surface though.

The fader flip mode is ridiculously easy to use, and probably the fastest set of faders I've seen in a long time. Plenty of guys I know are carrying it just as a monitor rig because of the consistency and ease of travel with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Hello, I am thinking of taking an S3lx out on the road. I like it because of it's size and flexibility. I'm thinking of using it as a portable in ear rig that can both be left on stage or brought out to FOH with me in smaller venues.

In this scenario what would be the best option for tying this system in with fixed systems in venues? Can you get the Stage 16 boxes to communicate with a Profile or SC 48? Would I have to use a split snake to tie into an existing system?What is the compatibility of the Stage 16 box?

Also, does the S3LX provide a fader flip mode for easy buss mixing?
Old 01-21-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
, but you can very easily use two S3L surfaces with a single set of S16 stage racks.
Can you specify how you connect two S3 Surfaces?
From the way you wrote it I had the impression you only need one E3 engine, but from what I know you can only connect one surface on one engine and then use the stage boxes on both systems?!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:09 PM

To use 2 Surfaces u need also 2 Enginges - this is the classical FOH/MON Split - with Gain Sharing - introduced in Venue 4.5
So it is not possible to connect 2 Surfaces to 1 Engine as far i know and as far the Manual says.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:20 AM

That is exactly what I thought, I am dreaming of the possibility to connect two surfaces to one engine, for dual engineer operation e.g.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:28 AM

Cannot see the benefit here - what should be the usage for 2 surfaces on 1 Engine?
Old 01-25-2015, 12:57 PM

First: for some Shows or when a guest engineer arrives mixing on more faders is a benefit.
Second: dual engineer operation, e.g. one is submixing the band the other has control over the main Chanel's and vocals
Third: simple monitor mix, sometimes there is no need or budget for a second monitor board, but a second engineer/assistant is there, or the band can control some sends on faders on the second surface.

But most of all is that I do like to mix on many faders.