Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2008, 11:44 PM

Default Re: 4 core vs 8 core consensus?

I have a 4 core 2.66ghz Mac Pro now. I wanted to know if they have any upgrades processor wise for my cpu. Can I get an 8 core upgrade down the line or right now? I've heard about being able to upgrade your Mac but, don't see it anywhere on the Mac site. Can some one point me to it.

Thanx

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 09-01-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I have a 4 core 2.66ghz Mac Pro now. I wanted to know if they have any upgrades processor wise for my cpu. Can I get an 8 core upgrade down the line or right now? I've heard about being able to upgrade your Mac but, don't see it anywhere on the Mac site. Can some one point me to it.
Hmmm.... Everymac.com says that the early quad cores are two separate dual core processors. These are upgradeable:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...rocessors.html

If you bought a later model(since they have made 8 cores standard, I believe this is january 08 and newer) and "downgraded" it to a 4 core, my understanding is that they just pull a CPU from one of the two sockets, so you end up with a motherboard that has one empty socket and one with a 4 core processor. The newest generation is upgradable, though they don't give much info on it. I'd guess it's very similar if not the same as the upgrade I just linked.

There may be differences in the motherboard architecture that make the later models better, I didn't look closely at the specs to see.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
There may be differences in the motherboard architecture that make the later models better,
And yes there are, Faster system bus and RAM speed.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...l-mac-pro.html
Old 09-02-2008, 02:26 PM

Wouldn't it benefit him then to just buy the 8 core as a 4 core to get the fullsize MB for future upgrade ability!? Compromises his price range between the two.... actually closer to the lower end, but would allow him to jump to 8 come the time it would benefit him. Also, by then the processor would be much cheaper!

I vote 8 core with one CPU (Or 4 as it were) removed............

Of course..... I'm still running a dual core LE and dual core TDM and both work like power houses for me as I still produce from hardware and dump into Pro Tools after my production is ready.

Next on the list: a Neko or Miko!!!! January is supposed to see a motorized fader release!!! 100mm, but oh well.... I keep telling them I won't buy until they expand/reconfigure a chassis to accept HD cards, and give me a tilt screen, but I just can't wait anymore! January it will be. Just to host Virtual stuff and reason, etc etc.... I still plan to sequence that with my MPC4000. It just gives me a freakin keyboard/synth/etc on steroids is all........ yummy........ plus it clones other synths! Samples and maps em out! YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT WITH A STICK!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry... got carried away.......

8 core.... 8 core..... definitely 8 core.... scaled down to 4.....

budget and upgrade considerations galore.....

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra