Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2001, 06:03 PM

Default using DAVE?

I just loaded DAVE for file sharing on my LAN. My two laptop PCs and my G4 all see eachother and can exchange files..., although I can't seem to open files on my mack when using DAVE to access the PC files. For instance, If I double click on an MP3 in DAVE nothing happens, so I have to drag and drop from the DAVE window onto my desktop and then I can play or open a file, but on the Pcs you can play them right from network neighborhood. Is this an expected result being the two different platforms? Also the MP3 that I drag and drop lands as a Quicktime file before it magically chnages to a SoundJam format.

Steve
Old 03-07-2001, 12:03 AM

Default Re: using DAVE?

Bassically i use the same configuration you do, and i also installed DAVE when i first bought my G4, i had a lot of trouble, what i would recomend you (what i did !) is to buy or get a copy of Virtual PC. You will not only get the ability to share files but to run any aplication of PC into your mac, and of course with no problems at all !! It's oustanding.

Regarding the change of format you mention in the end, that happened to me with wavs too, so there is a control panel in Mac that controls the extensions of files and associates them with a particular program, i don't remember which is it, but i'm sure you'll find it !. All you have to do is tell mac to associate MP3 files to whatever program you want or none...

Hope it helps
See ya.
Old 03-07-2001, 06:07 AM

File Exchange under control panels if you haven't found it already. I use Dave at work and have no problems. Also have Virtual PC, but I sure wouldn't load that monstrosity on my audio machine. YMMV.
Old 03-07-2001, 11:42 AM

Dave gives me no probs on my g4 500 using logic and Pt LE
Old 03-07-2001, 04:49 PM

Mack?
only from a windoze guy.
JLB
Old 03-07-2001, 07:16 PM

Thanks guys, I found the "file translation" settings in the Control Panel.

What I was still intersted in was...being able to play files, like MP3s off my PC by accessing them on my G4 through DAVE. I seem to have to drag and drop the file into my desktop on my G4 before I can play them. I'd like to be able to double click on it right in DAVE and have it stream so to speak.
Any ideas what I'm not doing properly.
By the way it is a DEMO od DAVE, if that means anything.

Interesting perspectives on using virtual PC there guys. I wouldn't want to clog up my audio system with a piece of clunker software either. I haven't heard much with respect to the reliability of virtual PC on the mac. Any pros and cons there?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-07-2001, 10:07 PM

Hi
I use PCMACLAN on my PC and in my Mac i just go to the chooser and mount the PC on my Mac desktop...just like a Mac network...works great...and your mac is "clean" from dirt like DAVE...by the way
there is some upgrade to DAVE if you're on Mac OS 9.1
Old 03-08-2001, 06:57 AM

In File Exchange (or maybe File Translation now... I'm still running OS 8.6) if you have SoundJam set up to handle files with an MP3 extension, it SHOULD work. You shouldn't have to drag and drop.

PCMACLAN is a good suggestion. Dave doesn't take up much space, but it's something you could possibly do without. Regarding Virtual PC: Well... don't get me wrong, it's pretty impressive for what it does and it's stable. Just sluggish, and takes up a lot of RAM, disk space, resources. I use it at the day job to run a few PC dev apps and test web sites in a PC environment on my Mac. It's pretty good for that.
Old 03-08-2001, 11:55 PM

Dead River Studio,
I'm also using Dave with my Mac and PC.
I usually open Dave, click on the PC drive/s (in the Dave window) you want to share and press command M. This will mount the PC drive on your Mac desktop. You can then quit Dave and still access your PC via the Mac.

The advantage with this is that you free up the CPU overhead that Dave was using. You should then be able to play MP3's properly. Also, I found that using this method doubled the network speed It is fast enough to bounce to disk across the network from PT to PC (using 100M/s).

Another hint is to download Peek-a-Boo and assign PT highest CPU priority. This is especially important when using PT and the Dave sharing extension at the same time. Otherwise PT gets very sluggish.