Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2011, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Why PT10 is not 64 bit... let's get this over with ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Funny, HDX+ interface is les expensive than HD3+interface. Check sweetwater.com I'm tired of posting the links IN fact, HDX+interface is less expensive than HD2+interface....
HDX + interface is no more than what a brand new HD1 + interface was. The hardware prices really aren't much different than what they were in the past, in fact they're probably a bit cheaper in some ways.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-21-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrebelion View Post
Certain things should be a standard bro. You shouldn't have to pay Avid for LLM it should just be there that's what I'm talking about why add the feature to use 3rd party interfaces in 9 half *****. That's what I'm talking about. They are the devil yo lmao I understand markups and all of that but this is just out right Avid getting over and they have been for a long time. 64bit is just one thing. You pay for 9 and they support it with a years worth of updates and make you pay 299 for 9.1 this isn't 10 this is 9.1 hahahaha. Grrrrr. I'm so pissed right now I can't even explain myself the way I want to. If Avid was a person I would punch him dead in the face for tryin to play me.
And juging by your posts, no matter what Avid would do, you would never agree that they have done good.

So why do you even bother trolling the forums?

Wave-T.com
Old 10-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
HDX + interface is no more than what a brand new HD1 + interface was. The hardware prices really aren't much different than what they were in the past, in fact they're probably a bit cheaper in some ways.
Yep, but then you have to factor in the power of the new card Which is why I make the comparison that way.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-21-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Yep, but then you have to factor in the power of the new card
Well exactly. You're getting way more bang for the buck. I understand the soreness of the software prices, but the hardware prices are just business as usual for HD stuff. I can imagine what the DUC looked like when HD first came out to replace Mix.

D

Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Naw I was kidding about that man. I got Maschine and the way they have been working on it like they love there own product is dope. Avid is just the devil man. I'm not getting 10 the only way I would is if they dropped this upgrade 99.99 other than that kma avid real talk (KEVIN HART VOICE) yo man I'm done I got a session bout to start but really watch the forum and how people will stick up for this crap and you will see the reason 64bit has yet to be implemented. We consumers allow these companies to get away with stuff like this. I know it sounds like I'm just complaining and I am but it's valid. People need to stop sticking up for stuff like this.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Must be good to be the standard so you don't have to innovate anymore. They don't want PT 64bit because it will bring down HD sales.
Here is a post from Bob Olhsson, from this forum, on why PT is the standard for professional studios:

Quote:
The original Digidesign hard disk recording product was called Sound Tools, hence a name change signifying a more capable product. In the early '90s a lot of software vendors were naming their latest versions "Pro."

They were the first capable of recording audio to an ordinary hard drive and they invented the audio DSP plug-in that was open to third party developers following the lead of what the Knoll brothers had done with Photoshop. It was the first system capable of actually being locked to time-code and picture with sample-accuracy that was priced cheap enough to be put on a credit card. Soon a half-dozen Pro Tools rigs were replacing every $100,000 DAW in post facilities. They remain the leader in easy collaboration capability between studios.

Being first and having capabilities vastly exceeding that of the competition for over a decade turns you into both a standard and the generic name for a class of product. It remains "standard" simply because nothing has come along that is enough better to be worth the hassle of file conversions.
It has nothing to do with 64 bit for VI's. PT, however, is being positioned to rival DAWs (like Cubase and Logic that from the very beginning were focused on the MIDI composer) for MIDI composition. It's been happening since PT8 and looks to be very promising for PT11.

There are options to get the job done if you need 64 bit now and want to use PT. No need to remain sore about it. Just make the music.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Naw I was kidding about that man. I got Maschine and the way they have been working on it like they love there own product is dope. Avid is just the devil man. I'm not getting 10 the only way I would is if they dropped this upgrade 99.99 other than that kma avid real talk (KEVIN HART VOICE) yo man I'm done I got a session bout to start but really watch the forum and how people will stick up for this crap and you will see the reason 64bit has yet to be implemented. We consumers allow these companies to get away with stuff like this. I know it sounds like I'm just complaining and I am but it's valid. People need to stop sticking up for stuff like this.
If we don't stick up for it... then it doesn't get supported.

As I said, the 50+ other features added to PT10 have gone completely ignored because people only give a **** about 64 bit when 90% of those who complain about it don't even need it.

The reasons I have provided are valid reasons for PT10 not being 64 bit. It dawned on me while I was watching the webcast, before anyone said anything about 64 bit.

AAX must progress for PT to go 64 bit. That's all there is to it. If you don't want it, there are so many other options, dude.

D

Old 10-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
I understand that.

AU or VST would solve the same problems, at much lower cost to 1) users and 2) developers. But we have another thread for that debate, don't we

~peter in oakland
The only problem there is VST and AU won't run on the DSP chips of the HDX card - AAX will.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:43 PM

At this point I don't much care what the reason is for not having a 64 bit version. PT10 needed to be 64 bit native to be competitive with, well, everyone else. All the other DAW companies have figured out how to host 32 bit plugs in native 64 bit apps.

I'd love to upgrade for the other features, but I'm tired of waiting to use all this untapped computing power and RAM I have in my computer. Not gonna happen until PT has a 64 bit native app. And most of those other "new" features are catchup items also.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
The only problem there is VST and AU won't run on the DSP chips of the HDX card - AAX will.
Not to mention that AU is Apple proprietary so Windows users would get the boot.

D