Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Default optical in test?

Digi 002rack not seeing adat/optical input. Any other ways to test that they're working? I'm naturally guessing that it's operator error but don't know for sure yet.

2.66 quad core xeon running 9.0.2. trying to get optical out form my computer INTO pro tools. I know the cable and the comp's digital out work as they normally run to my presonus central station just fine.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:36 PM

Default Re: optical in test?

hello?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:09 AM

I think maybe the 002 is expecting ADAT in and the Mac is spitting out SPDIF. Can you tell the 002 what to expect on the optical in?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
I think maybe the 002 is expecting ADAT in and the Mac is spitting out SPDIF. Can you tell the 002 what to expect on the optical in?
I think that's it, the Mac Pro outputs S/PDIF on the optical, not ADAT. You can toggle between S/PDIF and ADAT optical in the Hardware Setup for the 002.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:19 PM

my mac is spitting out TOS. The same cable usually connects to the TOS input of my presonus central station. The CS has 2 inputs ( spdif & TOS), TOS works just fine for me as that's how I listen to itunes and everything else from the copmuter. Switching that cable to the digi002r is when I get an issue.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
my mac is spitting out TOS. The same cable usually connects to the TOS input of my presonus central station. The CS has 2 inputs ( spdif & TOS), TOS works just fine for me as that's how I listen to itunes and everything else from the copmuter. Switching that cable to the digi002r is when I get an issue.
The 002 also has both RCA and optical digital input ports. Unlike the CS, the optical input port of your 002 can accept either ADAT lightpipe or SPDIF signal types. The Mac outputs SPDIF. As the other posters stated, you may need to switch, within software, the 002 optical input to accept SPDIF. If you have already done so and depending on your setup, you may also need to switch the PT clock source to the same SPDIF signal input.

Serge
Old 06-01-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormmusic View Post
You are making the typical rooky mistake of thinking that TOSlink and SPDIF are different.

SPDIF can be carried over a coax cable or optical (TOSlink) cable. It is a protocol, not a type of connector.

TOSLINK can carry (amongst others) ADAT and SPDIF. Herein lies your problem, you don't know your technology properly.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:30 AM

I have the 002 desk and you can set the digital input to SPDIF or ADAT I presume the same applies to the 002 rack so it may be that it is set-up wrong.

As said SPDIF is an unbalanced .5v digital signal that can be coax or optical. ADAT is an 8 channel interface protocol that is optical only.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Thanks guys! I did have it wrong, and I actually ALMOST have it going right now.. I can see the DIG input in PT , new problem is that I'm only getting a stereo ( or maybe downmixed) out from the DVD player.

Tom Lowe--thanks for the help,
Old 06-01-2011, 06:02 PM

So can SPDIF do a surround output? All I seem to get is stereo from the DVD player on my tower.