Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 08-19-2017, 12:16 PM

Default Aftermarket faderpacks (digital console)

Are folks here having any success with digital consoles or faderpacks made by folks other than avid with Pro Tools 12HD? I would expect for simply fader automation that there are a bunch that will relay fader and panning automation giving up higher functionality that would be available with S3/S6/D-Command.

Most of the info I see talking about this state of affairs is from 2015 or earlier. Is there anything new I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 09-07-2017, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Aftermarket faderpacks (digital console)

My understanding of the situation is that only the Avid control surfaces utilize the powerful and reliable Diginet or Eucon protocols that run over ethernet. All the third-party surfaces make use of some form of HUI MIDI control. HUI controllers are often pretty good for basic tasks, but they don't have any where near the depth of control that Eucon has.

If all you want are faders and pans, get an Artist Mix. It's not a perfect device (I find it flimsy and sometimes unreliable), but it is Eucon and can be very useful.

If you want to spend less, any surface that speaks HUI will work to some degree with Pro Tools.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
...work to some degree with Pro Tools.

Yes what are you willing to live without?

A Artist mix is a great unit. Eucon and some plugin control, it is really the starting point.

The plus for avids controllers have always been- "the deeper integration with PT itself"

It's usually based off one thing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$2k for a D Command is a steal and it's what I have.

$3.5k for a S3, they are cool and feature rich but it's newer tech that might be more buggy at times.

If you just want faders why don't you use the free avid control app. Via a tablet.

Hui is far behind either the S3 or a D Command. Try the free one first and see if you like it
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:18 PM

Yep. PT | Control is free, and it's nice. Well worth the price of an iPad. And if you like it, you'll love PT | Dock.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:58 AM

FYI, the term is "control surface", not faderpacks. And these things certainly aren't digital consoles since they don't actually pass/mix audio. Just for clarity.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.