Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Old 11-27-2018, 09:29 AM

Default Multiple ASIO device issue with PT 2018 Ultimate

Hi,

I'm referencing back and forth the Pro Tools Reference Manual and not sure if this is possible but I'll ask...

I've got two ASIO devices connected to the studio PC. One is a two channel USB interface and the other is a built in eight channel PCI-E surround card.

Within Windows 10 I can play audio independently on both devices at the same time. Both devices are set to 24/48.

I want to, in PT have both devices listed under I/O Settings / Output. This so I can choose to have the surround path or the LR path. Each device is connected to different sets of speakers.

Currently, when in Setup / Playback Engine, I can choose either but not both. If I change the Hardware, the session then changes from surround to stereo and vice versa.

Any ideas?

Thanks

BigJinge
Old 11-27-2018, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Multiple ASIO device issue with PT 2018 Ultimate

That is working correctly. Pro Tools uses one audio interface at a time.

You can aggregate devices outside Pro Tools, like with Aggregate IO on a Mac, often with imperfect results. DigiLink systems combine their devices for you at the DigiLink/TDM bus level. And some Thunderbolt systems aggregate interfaces within their driver... e.g. UAD Apollo. You should look at buying a single interface that meets your needs or something like a UAS Apollo or DigiLink system. Or in this case just switch Playback Engines when needed or maybe use an external monitor and fold down plugin??
Old 11-27-2018, 09:58 AM

You can aggregate devices on the PC with ASIO4ALL. Success depends on how well the Windows drivers for each device are written.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:08 AM

... and generally ASIO4ALL sucks at doing that, especially at smaller IO buffers, yes dependent on the vendor driver quality, and maybe need the interfaces hardware wordlocked etc....
Old 11-27-2018, 10:19 AM

Yeah it's generally a craps shoot. One thing it's good for though is putting together an output with the input of a USB mic on the PC for better latency than using Windows Audio.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:37 AM

I was trying to avoid ASIO4All so I could get the latency down as low as possible.

On a PC there isn't Aggregate IO.

So I guess I'm looking for a Aggregate IO type solution for Windows 10 that will keep the latency down...
Old 11-27-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJinge View Post
I was trying to avoid ASIO4All so I could get the latency down as low as possible.

On a PC there isn't Aggregate IO.

So I guess I'm looking for a Aggregate IO type solution for Windows 10 that will keep the latency down...
There is no "aggregate IO type solution" on Windows. You asked a question and we've given you the answers. We would not leave off an easy/good solution if there was one.

Aggregate IO happens within CoreAudio at a low level in the macOS operating system. And that often sucks as well (also depends on the driver quality, e.g. Motu stuff tends to works well). I deliberately did not mention ASIO4ALL initially because it's so bad.

I already explained your options.... which likely involve you buying appropriate interface hardware for what you are trying to do. So again choices are... obviously just get a bigger single interface, or if you ever want to combine interface hardware look at things like UAD Thunderbolt 3 boxes, or HD/DigiLink, (or Dante, or...) .., or just switch interfaces when needed.... Sorry trying to be very clear blunt what your options here to get you going in the right direction.

Your best bet is probably describing all you requirements, what connections are needed, etc. and asking folks here for a single interface recommendation.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the advice Darryl.

I misunderstood when you mentioned Aggregate IO for Mac, as you hadn't mentioned initially that a version of it wasn't available for Windows.

My thought was OK, before I sell my existing kit / investment and look for replacement kit, I'll see if an Aggregate IO solution or it's like (not ASIO4ALL) is available in Windows, which as I found out and you mentioned later, it isn't. Fair enough. Apologies if I wasn't clear.

One of the interfaces is EOL now and have considered replacing it, so it would make more sense to sell the current devices and look for one that will combine both of their uses.

I thank you and Chuck for your time.