Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Default automation bug in bypass lane

I have been having trouble with bypass automation. Existing bypass breakpoints are often not overwritten, which makes plugins bypass/unbypass at unexpected times. It seems that automation breakpoints are no longer written (when capturing plugins and editing) if the value to be written is the same as the existing value already in the automation. It is new behavior I believe. This is probably a bug within that new code.

These screengrabs illustrate the problem.
http://www.pharoahaudio.com/bypassbug.html
Old 12-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Default Re: automation bug in bypass lane

I found a similar issue writing volume automation after preview.
Write to all wouldn't overwrite the automation within regions but it would outside the regions. This happened on newly created tracks. Which makes me think it is related to a problem we are having with automation not playing back properly on some tracks after track counts have changed in the session. Restarting session helps. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=313329

EDIT: This happens only if I have the "Write to next breakpoint on stop" enabled.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 12-25-2011, 04:37 PM

I am only seeing this happen to bypass automation.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:23 AM

I spoke too soon. Yesterday I found some EQ3 single band plugins that were not changing filter type properly. They were peaking instead of notching across 3 dialog tracks in a section I had spend a lot of time in. Closer examination revealed the same problems on filter type parameter lanes as I have documented on the bypass lane. Other eq parameters were being set to correct values but not filter type. Once I manually fixed the filter type lanes I got my dialog premix back.

The problem is created while writing settings using command-option-/. It seems to happen while overwriting previous settings. It is about as close to a showstopper bug as I will get before going back to an earlier version.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:28 PM

Found more today. I've found a workaround is to key in command-option-/ TWICE in a row, that seems to overwrite correctly...at least so far. What a friggin pain.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Avid

Post Re: automation bug in bypass lane

Thanks for the info and screenshots, Eng is looking into this.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:08 PM

Thank you for letting us know!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 AM
Quiet Art Ltd.

I also found making a copy of a region by "option" control+click or dragging sometimes does not carry the automation information, you have to use copy+paste (yes double checked, and automation follows edit was enabled).

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 AM

I suppose we are all talking about PT10.0 here. I've seen the bypass bug in my mixes as well (just didn't have time to investigate and manually edited the breakpoints).
I almost never use command-alt-/ btw, but use (punch)preview instead.
I've also had quite a few issues with automation not playing back, which is a PT10 issue in another thread, but since Avid replied here I jump on it Often I get the feeling that these issues might have to do with de-activating and activating tracks in a session. I also mixed a project in 5.1 recently, where I used native processing on the source tracks (I tend to stick with TDM for everything). This also gave me a less confident feeling during the mix (more ticks and clicks upon stop-starts while monitoring through input-rec stems, than when using TDM only processing). I wonder if the automation problems surface more easily on PT 10 Sessions with native processing enabled or changing a bunch of tracks from TDM to Native, as I did with this mix. I imported tracks from HD2 and HD Native PT rigs, but always made sure the source and destination tracks for imports had the same processing (being TDM or Native). This to avoid the famous other bug from Frank, where automation suddenly can't be copied anymore between tracks.

Generally I feel that PT10 has great benefits for editing especially large sessions (Memory management is much better, Disk caching, 24h timeline), but on the mix side PT10 scares me sometimes. Also the D-Control implementation was best at PT8, became slower with PT9 and lost features with PT10 (plug-in learn stuff and CF plugin things)...
Sorry to hi-jack part of the thread, but I hope some insights might help troubleshooting.

Greetings,

Thierry