Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-09-2006, 03:19 AM

Default Ableton Live - performing/recording live w/HD3

I am trying to record 'live' Ableton Live performances while Rewired into ProTools (7.1). I need to be able to adjust the tempo on the fly during the performance. If I put PT in manual tempo mode it will sort of try to follow the tempo changes but the audio is momentarily interupted & Live's MIDI mapping for the tempo setting will no longer work (or the manual tap). Changing the audio w/ the PT transport has the same effect. I would like to have the PT beat clock follow the clock from Live, but apparently it is not capable of doing this for some reason. Can anyone tell me if there is any workaround to this problem? As an alternative, is there a way for the Live clock to function independently from the PT beat clock? I understand that Live is functioning as a Rewire slave in this situation, but the inability of the PT beat clock to allow Live to alter the tempo seems to defeat much of the purpose of having a 'live' performance tool. Someone please tell me I'm missing something here! Thanks.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Ableton Live - performing/recording live w/HD3

Unfortunately, I believe PT handles all the tempo changes when Live is in Rewire slave mode. If I had to suggest a workaroud it would be to use Core Audio instead of Rewire and send audio into PT that way (with a cable). Start Live first to disable it as Rewire Slave (you need the full version to do this). Then slave PT to Live's tempo via the IAC bus.

Hope you get the idea - I haven't tested it myself...