Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 08-21-2009, 06:54 AM

Default ECX lag

I've started using ECX control on my mixrack and I get a bit of lag, I suspect this is usual, but I just wanted to check with you guys in here to find out if that is the case and that it's not just something that I'm doing wrong.

Roland
Old 08-21-2009, 12:07 PM

Default Re: ECX lag

Is this wired or wireless? If Wireless is it G or N? I've used VNC's for my windows networks for years and even hard wired they arenever are the same as direct operation of the computer. The Digi VNC is as fast as any I've used before and with the N speed it's about the same as hard wired. I had posted last week an issue with going unusually slow but it was after I updated to the new driver. (I am now embarassed to admit I was trying to do the Ecx update with a VNC controller and I believe the update was not done correctly because of that...) My solution was to uninstall and reinstall the new driver (which was very simple - thanks Digi!) and now it's all good. Anyway, do you notice it being slower than other VNC's? I find Digi's implementation very responsive and mix from VNC frequently. I get more comments about mixing from a notebook computer than the pretty console with lights!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:03 AM

I'm actually using wired with a crossover cable. I have a small jazz gig to record and rather than do a split I plan to take just the mixrack and the Pro-Tools and run VNC off the Pro-Tools rig for FOH (they only need vocals, bit of bass, sax and guitar through their small PA. Price and size of the gig doesn't warrant taking the Profile, I can get the rest of the kit in my SUV, job done.

I can work with it, but I thought the connection would be pretty instant. VNC on the computer is the very latest software downloaded just the other night, the VNC software on the Mixrack was installed by the dealer when I bought the system October last year, desk software is 2.7.1, I think that's current.

Regards

Roland
Old 10-12-2009, 02:46 PM

I just installed ECx 2.0 option into my Mix Rack and Chicken of VNC into my Macbook Pro. Connection is ok and I am able to control everything from my Macbook. Anyhow, when connected, also Profile surface comes very slow. Just like control from remote computer. I have been using different remote desktop applications in other systems and platforms, but it´s not usually that slow and sticky.

My wireless router is N-series, so it should be fast enough.

Anyone got that lag in console surface also?

Tips or tricks?

BTW. I use that very same router and Chicken of VNC to control my HD2 rig and it works like a dream! No more 2nd display/keyboard/mouse or KV-switch! Hooray!

Setup:

Mix Rack (3 dsp cards, 1 HDx card) (ECx 2.0) (2.7.1) (Venue Pack, Massive Pack 8)
Buffalo N-series wireless router
Macbook Pro (10.5.8)
G5 Mac w/ HD2 Accel

THanks,

Jaska
Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM

we had to switch to an N router. G doesn't doesn't quite do it. we also had to get an N card for our tablet but if you have the macbook pro, it already has that. Mine runs great on my macbook pro when i use that