Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2020, 05:43 PM

Default 2 Questions Regarding Optimal Installation + Moving Libraries

1.) Ok firstly, I have a clean OSx and am going to re install everything. My external Solid state drive wont be delivered until next week. Is there any difference, regarding CPU load and performance, when you install all of your sample libraries and players [kontakt, East West, etc..] directly onto an internal/bootable SSD and then moving them to an external drive and relocating them later VERUS installing them directly on to the external drive and never having them installed on the internal drive?

In short, is there any performance benefit to installing directly to an external drive verus installing on an internal drive and then moving them to an external drive?

2.) What is the best/optimal way to move all of the libraries from my internal drive to an external drive? Once my new external SSD is here I want to clear up as much memory as I can on my internal SSD for Pro Tools, so I want to move every trace of EWQL/Kontakt Player libraries to my external drive - what is the best way to do this? I know how, I'm just wondering what the best way to do it is to make sure no trace is left on the internal SSD.