Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-21-2011, 08:26 AM

Default PT10 - at least one that's not angry

I'm reading lots of hostility about the pricing of PT10 and the new hardware. I won't pretend I can speak for those folks, or try to silence them either.

I doubt I'm alone in this, but in the midst of it all I just wanted to say that I'm not angry about it.

I don't have PT10 yet, but certainly will be buying it as I like what I see. My Accel system cost me more than twice what I'd need to buy in HDX, and has served me well, daily, and paid for itself many many many times over.

Maybe old age is mellowing me, but I just can't be angry about it.

I'm also not in a huge rush.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:47 AM

Default Re: PT10 - at least one that's not angry

I feel the same way. Where we differ is that I can't wait to upgrade my hardware. I'm trying I figure out what happens on day 1 though... Do my TDM plugins still work? Do I have to wait for compatibility releases from all plugin vendors? How realistic is a quick upgrade?
IMDB
Old 10-21-2011, 09:15 AM

+1

Too many people saying they've spent their last dollar with Avid, not me. I've been sitting on my Pci-x HD3 for quite a while now and it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

Can't wait to upgrade!!! But as IO Composer says, what about all my TDM plug-ins? I think it'll be a 'WUP and a bit' to get them all working.

Enjoy !!

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound01 View Post
Too many people saying they've spent their last dollar with Avid, not me.
Actually my last $2000 dollars I spent was on my jackass car that needed repairs.
Don't buy Mercedes Benz people. It's got great comfort but you will spend all your money on repairs.

Im dissapointed PT is not 64 bit yet, but PT10 has some nice features worth upgrading for, so I will eventually upgrade.
But with $50 bucks in my account i just have to wait for the next pay check (in 3 weeks time).
Hmmm, now lets se whats in the freezer.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Actually my last $2000 dollars I spent was on my jackass car that needed repairs.
Don't buy Mercedes Benz people. It's got great comfort but you will spend all your money on repairs.

Im dissapointed PT is not 64 bit yet, but PT10 has some nice features worth upgrading for, so I will eventually upgrade.
But with $50 bucks in my account i just have to wait for the next pay check (in 3 weeks time).
Hmmm, now lets se whats in the freezer.
hehe

Wave-T.com
Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 AM

+1

I'll wait a year or two until plugins get sorted out, or at least until Avid no longer offer an upgrade path for legacy hardware, and then I'll make the move. Until then, I'll be producing music as usual.

Just because PT 10 and the new cards are out, it doesn't make my current PT9/HD3 Accel/legacy 192 I/O's-system sound worse than it did yesterday, neither does it hurt my capabilities (or lack thereof) as an engineer and producer .

Stein Tore
Old 10-21-2011, 10:54 AM

TDM plug-ins that have RTAS equivalents will work with the new hardware as Native inserts, but you'll have to wait for an AAX update to run on the DSP. Same goes for TDM only plug-ins, they will need to be updated. Hopefully we'll see announcements from the major 3rd party manufacturers that have TDM only plug-ins.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
TDM plug-ins that have RTAS equivalents will work with the new hardware as Native inserts, but you'll have to wait for an AAX update to run on the DSP. Same goes for TDM only plug-ins, they will need to be updated. Hopefully we'll see announcements from the major 3rd party manufacturers that have TDM only plug-ins.
Thanks cj!!!

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 AM

Been working with 10 for while now, and IMO this is the best release Protools has ever had... Smooth as silk and if Protools 9 was solid then I dont have words for what PT 10.... is

I have my macs running 24/7.... Protools as well... It has not crashed yet - not once !

And THAT is what I want from a DAW !

A 1000 USD upgrade - is a lot of money but for software of this caliber; a steal & no brainer (IMO).
Old 10-21-2011, 12:17 PM

Just got back from AES. PT10 looks great, I'm definitely excited. That said, the plugin thing is a MAJOR concern for me. I talked to a lot of plugin vendors and not one of them was ready for AAX. I'm really looking forward to seeing this list of 25 ready vendors, but the ones I use are all in "wait and see" mode. At this point TDM is 100% dead. TDM will not run on the HDX system at all. So, if there are any TDM plugins that you can't get rid of, HDX is not a good choice, or at least you'll have to keep your HD systems around. Waves, SoundToys, Eventide, SSL, have no current plans of supporting the new DSP architecture. So it begs the question... is the new DSP for Avid plugins only?

The other concern that everyone that I talked to had was what happens in 2 months when Apple releases their next Mac Pro sans PCIe slots? Apparently that's exactly what's going to happen. Avid had better purchase Magma immediately if they want this thing to fly.

Pricing is interesting. Trading in an HD3 system for a single HDX card is $5999. I could do that for double the power/voices/tracks. But... at the expense of SoundBlender, PitchBlender, Eventide, Revibe, Waves TDM, etc? That's a tough one...

An additional HDX card to make it a 512voice system? $6999. Ahem... I'll grab my hat on my own, thanks

-Jamey
IMDB