Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2008, 02:37 PM

Default Re: PT 8 and VISTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
What he's saying is that you can run 32bit programs on Vista64.
correct, 32bit programs need to be installed correctly to work. compatibility-mode installation and compatibility-mode run.

while digidesign doesnīt support this, it is possible in many but not all systems.

and from what i experienced, i had no difference between 3,5GB RAM 32bit and 8GB RAM 64bit. masses of vstis didnīt use more than 1,5-2GB and i canīt imagine why someone would need that many vstis.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmworld View Post
correct, 32bit programs need to be installed correctly to work. compatibility-mode installation and compatibility-mode run.

while digidesign doesnīt support this, it is possible in many but not all systems.

and from what i experienced, i had no difference between 3,5GB RAM 32bit and 8GB RAM 64bit. masses of vstis didnīt use more than 1,5-2GB and i canīt imagine why someone would need that many vstis.
A normal sized PT session can easily take up a gig of ram without any samplers or instruments running, just tracks and plugs. A single instance of BFD or Ivory or EastWest choirs can take up all available ram and will sometimes even crash PT just by running out of ram that PT can use. I'm talking about a single instance of just one sampler and that's hardly even enough to do any work. I do have separate machines for samplers but I'd rather do it all in PT given that tasks like samplers are a breeze for today's CPU's.

I can tell you that PT in 32-bit is a VERY limiting factor for everyday work for me and many others.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneOuse View Post
A normal sized PT session can easily take up a gig of ram without any samplers or instruments running, just tracks and plugs. A single instance of BFD or Ivory or EastWest choirs can take up all available ram and will sometimes even crash PT just by running out of ram that PT can use. I'm talking about a single instance of just one sampler and that's hardly even enough to do any work. I do have separate machines for samplers but I'd rather do it all in PT given that tasks like samplers are a breeze for today's CPU's.

I can tell you that PT in 32-bit is a VERY limiting factor for everyday work for me and many others.
thatīs interesting and leads me to the answer, that there must be something wrong with your and others setups or your setup loads something additional that i donīt need. a big PT session at 96k with loaded plugins excl. synths takes about 250MB to 450MB of ram. up to 450MB for XP. iīm never over 1GB without synths which leaves about 2,5GB left. there must be something really strange going on...
Old 11-09-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmworld View Post
thatīs interesting and leads me to the answer, that there must be something wrong with your and others setups or your setup loads something additional that i donīt need. a big PT session at 96k with loaded plugins excl. synths takes about 250MB to 450MB of ram. up to 450MB for XP. iīm never over 1GB without synths which leaves about 2,5GB left. there must be something really strange going on...
Bill Gates once said that no one will ever need more than 64 kb of ram. You don't want to sound like him.
Pro Tools memory usage will differ greatly depending on which and how many plugins you have installed as well as the playback engine configurations and memory allocation settings.
Also, you should really learn about 32-bit apps and OS ram availability, the differences between them and the architecture in general. A 32-bit application can only use around 1.5 gigs of ram even if you have more available. You can use a "largeaddressaware" patch so an application could use up to 2.5 gigs but it may not be stable and you can only do it with PT LE.
The new PT 8 will use even more ram still without a possibility to use the "largeaddressaware" tweak on HD so as you can see we're inevitably getting close to running out of resources that 32-bit architecture allows for. The demands will only go up and plugins, VI's and samplers will only require more ram so 32-bit DAW's are really at the end of the lifecycle.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneOuse View Post
Bill Gates once said that no one will ever need more than 64 kb of ram. You don't want to sound like him.
Pro Tools memory usage will differ greatly depending on which and how many plugins you have installed as well as the playback engine configurations and memory allocation settings.
Also, you should really learn about 32-bit apps and OS ram availability, the differences between them and the architecture in general. A 32-bit application can only use around 1.5 gigs of ram even if you have more available. You can use a "largeaddressaware" patch so an application could use up to 2.5 gigs but it may not be stable and you can only do it with PT LE.
The new PT 8 will use even more ram still without a possibility to use the "largeaddressaware" tweak on HD so as you can see we're inevitably getting close to running out of resources that 32-bit architecture allows for. The demands will only go up and plugins, VI's and samplers will only require more ram so 32-bit DAW's are really at the end of the lifecycle.
This was the idea behind this whole thread;the problem has been around for a long time.
There well maybe only a few VSTi`s that are native 64 bit but the fact that most of the big ones that are velocity sample based needs definite attention
Gigastudio , back then Gigasampler,(now discontinued......damn!!!) was the first dynamic velocity based sampler. It operated on a lower kernel level somehow and could load the first part of a sample and then stream the rest from disk.
The Native Kontakt/Kompakt/Intakt based samplers from Best Service/East West /Zero G came next with DFD streaming. This apparently utilised a Virtual Ram Idea (correct me if I`m wrong) to buffer the first part of their metadata. I never got any of thses libraries to run as efficiently as Gigastudio.
Then there is Ivory/BFD/BFD 2 not to mention the massive VSL VSTi`s,not to mention the liquid libraries.
GeneOuse is totally on track when it comes to Ram usage, not to mention that the DAE loads the RTAS in a more ram intensive fashion compared to the way Steinberg loads it`s VST/VSTi`s. ( I love Pro Tools by the way, this is just one area that needs Digidesigns focus in my opinion)
I dont know if it`s possible but I`m putting my vote forward for Digidesign to buy and incorporate Gigastudio from Tascam into Protools, as Tascam dont want it anymore (They have stopped developement and any support).
Digi have absorbed other companies ......Gigastudio would certainly be an asset to the air arm of Digi.......
Old 11-10-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rigby View Post
I dont know if it`s possible but I`m putting my vote forward for Digidesign to buy and incorporate Gigastudio from Tascam into Protools, as Tascam dont want it anymore (They have stopped developement and any support).
Digi have absorbed other companies ......Gigastudio would certainly be an asset to the air arm of Digi.......
This! And it's already 64-bit ready, with lots of bugs but still!