Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 PM

Default Crossgrade package for pro tools 9

I purchased the crossgrade package and I am wondering if I will have problems installing it on two machines in my house? To be more specific, with avid letting me install off the same disc or download more then once.

Ed
Old 08-26-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Crossgrade package for pro tools 9

You can install Pro Tools on as many platforms as you like however to open Pro Tools on one of those systems Pro Tools requires an iLok USB Authorization Key.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:29 AM

Let me add that the iLok has to have a Pro Tools license on it...

This guy sounds smarter than that, but there are probably people out there who would just buy another iLok and expect it to work...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 08-27-2011, 12:20 PM

Talking Re: Crossgrade package for pro tools 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Let me add that the iLok has to have a Pro Tools license on it...

This guy sounds smarter than that, but there are probably people out there who would just buy another iLok and expect it to work...
Well Bill, since the question was about a Pro Tools 9 crossgrade don't you think you should be a little more specific? Not just any Pro Tools license will do. It must be a Pro Tools 9 license.

Since we're stating the plainly obvious here...
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 08-30-2011, 12:26 AM

Hey I've got a question about the Pro Tools 9 upgrade package.

I'm getting mine today. If the box comes with a version lower than 9.0.3 how should I go about installing? (Snow Leopard)
I'm guessing the 9.0.3 I'll get from Avid's website will just be an update which I can install on top of what ever earlier PT9 full install I have installed.
So, install what ever version of 9 is in the box and then download the 9.0.3 update?

EDIT: I picked up the box and I used the activation code and I'm in the process of transferring the license to my iLok, but Avid shows me all this stuff I can download with the new license. There's a full install download for PT 9.0.2. (No 9.0.3)

Should I just download that and install that instead of the 9.0 that came in the box?

What say you?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 AM

As Pro Tools 9 is Snow Leopard compatible throughout there will be no issue installing 9.0 and updating to 9.0.3.

You could download 9.0.2 but given the size of the installers, the DVD method followed by the 9.0.3 update will likely be quicker, it's also not uncommon for those huge installers to crap out and throw up any number of errors. Either way will not hurt but the DVD would be my choice.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:04 AM

Alright, thanks Dougfather
Old 08-30-2011, 04:04 AM

Hey should I install the driver disc just in case, although I'm not necessarily planning on using Avid or M-audio hardware?

EDIT: I put in the Drivers Disc and noticed they were all hardware specific, so that was a dumb questions. (I just thought maybe there's some kind of an overall driver pro tools needs to see on the mac to get it to even function with the Mac's own "sound card")

I haven't had a chance to do much testing but 9.0 seems to run Ok. I also haven't run any updates yet.