How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 03-22-2020, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Come On 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
True, but we must not count any generosity from Avid. Or I fall down my chair.
You're probably right. Then I hope that avid users stop paying them, then a serious company takes over Pro Tools.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Unbelievable.

Read your own message in 4 weeks time and see how well your wisdom has aged.

Folks - every one of us needs to take what is happening incredibly seriously. We will pretty much all be going into lockdown conditions if we are not already there. Some work will continue, but it will slow, and probably keep slowing to a crawl due to the increasing knock on effects. My brother who works in C London but only in the past few days was allowed to work from home, is Day 4 with the virus.

To every Avid employee and everyone on this forum, please do stay safe and think of others so we can all - in time - think once more that the benefits of folder tracks is kind of important in our lives.

This post ^^^

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24
Old 03-22-2020, 04:02 AM

We'll see how things go down. I wasn't saying we shouldn't be concerned with the current 'circumstances' and of course wish everyone all the best and good health!

On the other hand, I'm actually participating in some software development projects myself, and see that we're making good progress with the developers working from home and being super focused!

My guess is Avid's still aiming for a March release, so let's keep fingers crossed!
Old 03-22-2020, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
We'll see how things go down. I wasn't saying we shouldn't be concerned with the current 'circumstances' and of course wish everyone all the best and good health!

On the other hand, I'm actually participating in some software development projects myself, and see that we're making good progress with the developers working from home and being super focused!

My guess is Avid's still aiming for a March release, so let's keep fingers crossed!
Thank you! Good to stop reading about Covid-19 for a little while.

Be well.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:32 AM

My plan expires in a few days, vanilla users haven't received practically anything new in more than a year, if avid can't deliver because of the quarantine they should extend our plans as well until they release at least track folders, in fact, I think I deserve at least another 1/2 year free because I didn't get anything during the last one.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
My plan expires in a few days, vanilla users haven't received practically anything new in more than a year, if avid can't deliver because of the quarantine they should extend our plans as well until they release at least track folders, in fact, I think I deserve at least another 1/2 year free because I didn't get anything during the last one.
It's totally reasonable for people to get annoyed like this. When we pay a yearly renewal fee, we should actually get something for our money, it's not enough to say "the fee gets you get 12 months of updates" but then it's a total crap shoot as to what (if any) updates actually get released in that 12 month period.

They should move to a planned release schedule similar to the way Microsoft does it with Windows:

- target 2 milestone "feature" releases per year, released (or planned to be, at least) roughly every 6 months
- smaller bug fix releases in between the milestone ones as needed
- set everyone's renewal anniversary to a single date across the board (say January 1st), and for anyone who begins a plan after that date in a given year, prorate what they're charged initially before their 1st full renewal kicks in. That way everyone is in the same boat, and people won't be caught short being ineligible for a given update just because of what their individual renewal anniversary date was.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Unbelievable.

Read your own message in 4 weeks time and see how well your wisdom has aged.

Folks - every one of us needs to take what is happening incredibly seriously. We will pretty much all be going into lockdown conditions if we are not already there. Some work will continue, but it will slow, and probably keep slowing to a crawl due to the increasing knock on effects. My brother who works in C London but only in the past few days was allowed to work from home, is Day 4 with the virus.

To every Avid employee and everyone on this forum, please do stay safe and think of others so we can all - in time - think once more that the benefits of folder tracks is kind of important in our lives.
Sorry to go OT again but I just wanted to wish your brother well and a full recovery.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Sorry to go OT again but I just wanted to wish your brother well and a full recovery.
(thanks v much - he's on the mend it seems, and hasn't had to go to hospital which is obviously a big deal.)

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-24-2020, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I'm in the same boat. I'm interested in folder tracks but not interested enough to renew. I've been with Pro Tools since 7.4LE and have no plans to change DAWs but I spent £100 last year and got nothing useful. I submitted bug reports and had a few conversations about issues I was having which still haven't been rectified in the current release.

For example, using Native, if I take 100 tracks. Select them all and press "commit" then select the option to delete the original tracks, it tells me I'm over the track limit. I don't think this is right as at the end of the process I should have the same amount of tracks (assuming I don't print AUX's).

Beyond that, if I do it in batches to stay below the limit of say 20 at a time, then I commit 20, it deletes the original 20 tracks. But then doesn't minus those off the track count. It still counts the deleted tracks. So you have to close and re-open the session constantly to print more tracks or clear the undo queue. This has been an issue since July 2018 in case 03580055.

It's a constant headache when labels want printed mixed tracks to archive and most of my work is for a label that require this.

I'm just hoping folder tracks come out before my plan lapses otherwise I'll just do without.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgroove View Post
It's totally reasonable for people to get annoyed like this. When we pay a yearly renewal fee, we should actually get something for our money, it's not enough to say "the fee gets you get 12 months of updates" but then it's a total crap shoot as to what (if any) updates actually get released in that 12 month period.

They should move to a planned release schedule similar to the way Microsoft does it with Windows:

- target 2 milestone "feature" releases per year, released (or planned to be, at least) roughly every 6 months
- smaller bug fix releases in between the milestone ones as needed
- set everyone's renewal anniversary to a single date across the board (say January 1st), and for anyone who begins a plan after that date in a given year, prorate what they're charged initially before their 1st full renewal kicks in. That way everyone is in the same boat, and people won't be caught short being ineligible for a given update just because of what their individual renewal anniversary date was.
The reality is that AVID wants to put an end to the owners and wants to achieve 100% subscriptions. This is hypocritical and immoral, because we bought the software and paid for each version, but morality or ethics is not considered. In order for us to go on a subscription basis, AVID is determined to do everything. That's why Avid makes the upgrade too difficult and directs everything to the subscription. Personally, I would go to the subscription if there was any real compensation, a buy-back of the licenses at least partial. "We're changing models, but it's not your fault (on the contrary, you kept us alive): we offer to buy back your license in exchange for a subscription of equivalent value." Now we'd be ethical. And Avid would keep more customers. But the chief accountant said no, I guess!
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com