Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2010, 02:05 PM

Default How do multiple cores work with PT?

I guess I'm wondering how PT deals with multi-core processors now that it's Snow Leopard ready. I know you can decide how many processors RTAS gets, but how does PT deal with the rest?

This all comes down to me trying to decide between a faster Quad core mac vs. a 'slower' 8 core machine.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:51 PM

Default Re: How do multiple cores work with PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoop2112 View Post
I guess I'm wondering how PT deals with multi-core processors now that it's Snow Leopard ready. I know you can decide how many processors RTAS gets, but how does PT deal with the rest?

This all comes down to me trying to decide between a faster Quad core mac vs. a 'slower' 8 core machine.
Hi,

Each track can only access one core for its native processing! multi-cores rule if you use RTAS hogs

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Each track can only access one core for its native processing! multi-cores rule if you use RTAS hogs

Chris
Aha, so you can choose how many cores are used in the Playback Engine. Have you used the Activity Monitor and see how it handles VI's?

A question for DTS - is Pro Tools a Grand Central Dispatch enabled program?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Aha, so you can choose how many cores are used in the Playback Engine. Have you used the Activity Monitor and see how it handles VI's?

A question for DTS - is Pro Tools a Grand Central Dispatch enabled program?
No, it is not. GCD is really not made for audio applications - it's a 'bridge' (for lack of a better word) for applications that don't have multi-processor/multi-core scheduling built in to them.

Most modern applications already have multi-processor support built in and wouldn't benefit from Grand Central.

As far as processor scheduling goes, if you assign a processor to RTAS, only fully compatible RTAS processes can run on that processor. Some plug-ins don't meet that spec yet, so you may need to reduce the RTAS processors to give those plug-ins processors on which to run.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:24 AM

Ah, so worst case, some RTAS plugins may be limited to 2 core scheduling, and mess up the whole deal - gotcha. Well, I just won't use those then.

Thanks for the quick response DTS, much appreciated!