Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2003, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Now I\'m not sure whether to get a G4 Dual 1.25 or the new G5 ??

Hey Stoogee...yeah my impatient ass finally ordered a 800Mhz upgrade also and some more RAm...
I'm gonna STRESS test the heck out of it this weekend. I got two bands rolling thru.
Yeah OS 9.2.2 supports dual monitors.
I think I'll unhook my peecee's monitor and connect it to my Matrox RTMac card and give it a go!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2003, 11:31 AM

"keeping the "b.c. Beasters" out of town.

The way they talk about that crap, you would swear it is gold, when it is schwag... Just like everything from canada...."

Ahhh...so when you dumbasses pay more than it's weight in gold in U.S. currency (which isn't doing all that well these days), why shouldn't us Canucks say gold grows on trees. I haven't seen any swag around these parts make it across the boarder. Anybody can claim it's from B.C. when it's 800 miles away...but when you see what's AAA in Vancouver, you'll bite your tongue.

And since when was anything of quality made in the U.S. Everybody knows, Lazy American's make shotty goods. Would you rather have a Porche or a Mercedes, or a Mustang or a FireBird? (Don't forget who made the Pinto).

(Keep feeding the Graemlins)
javascript:void(0)
Old 07-10-2003, 01:13 AM

Er.... How did this topic become a Canada vs US debait??

GORILLA: Yes the 800 upgrade should help. Mine arrives today. Now im tempted to buy a fancy GFX card so I can utilise my dual monitors, but I think its a bit extreme really, not really necessary, I think i can probably live with one.

SG
Old 07-10-2003, 10:09 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

I'll have to agree w/ the "AAA Canadien" comment. Most of what we see here on the US side that is called "B.C.", is pretty bad. But when its the goods, it's oh so good... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Now wait a minute, if you're talking cars you're right...but we're talking horticulture, here, so you better pull the foot from out the mouth... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Besides, I'd rather have some Humboldt or Oregon (can you say properly cured..?) lovin' over most (notice, I said most) of what is grown up north any day of the week.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:18 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

So, can anyone tell me if they think going from a 933 G4 to a dual 1 GHz (Powerlogix upgrade) would give me enough of an increase in power to wait for a G5. Or should I just keep it a "stock" 933 while waiting? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2003, 12:39 AM

Haha...just poking some fun...we all love the chronic no matter where it comes as long as it's sunny and nice outside.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:58 AM

wait soundboy.

Digi and some offended owners of DP machines make it seem like the DP with it's 99% cpu usage is some bog deal.

Os X loves a good graphics card. Spo the fast screen redraws people talk of can be had, no prob.

If my machine uses 85% of the cpu (1.2 ghz sonnett upgrade)

and gets 21-23 tracks davec style.

And you give me another 14%, about three tracks right?

I should get atleast 21-25 tracks. no problem

SOme people are getting a few more than that but the bottom line is this.

(sorry rambling and tired)

DIgi is crippling the dual processor machines.

Other DAW's get WAY higher track/plug counts.

Which threatens TDM.

As long as you use digi, and as long as they can stay in business, LE will never perform as good as TDM. Even with G5 dp's etc. THey will limit your power. There is no reason why a DP G4 wont get 32=14 aux's. Well, there is , and it stinks of scandal.

I say wait a minute, and get a G5 when they are smoother. (jan. or next summer)

And then get ready to hop over to logic, b/c it is only a matter of time my friend. The clock is ticking....
Old 07-11-2003, 09:09 AM

Thanks Kris, that makes a lot of sense. I think I'll just keep it a stock 933. I was kinda' scared to do the upgrade anyway, as I've heard a couple "horror stories"... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2003, 11:24 AM

Hey Stoogee and GORILLA,
I would love to hear how those cpu upgrade cards do for you. I am considering getting one for my 450. Have you noticed much improvement in track count and plugs?
Thanks,
danl
Old 07-11-2003, 11:40 AM

I have a friend who knows a guy that works for the Air Force. And claims that they beta tested a new G5 2.0 Dual and a/b'd it against a MDD DP and said that they were STUNNED at how much faster it was. Apperantly, the new machines are going to be the bomb of all bombs. I can't wait. Of course, I'll HAVE to since I just bought a refurbd DP 1gig Quicksilver. I'm more than happy with it. I also have a 933 for sale for $1200 plus shipping. Email me for info. My point though was the the new G5's are going to scream.

Jason
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan