Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2020, 10:57 AM

Default Support Plan Renewal ....yes or no.

I have Pro Tools Ultimate and my subscription runs out in a month. I'm curious as to how many here spend the $399 to renew it.

And is it worth it to buy the 1 year Subscription Crossgrade for $599? What the heck is this crossgrade anyway?
Old 11-16-2020, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Support Plan Renewal ....yes or no.

crossgrade means you give up your perpetual license and subscribe as long as you need it. you need to weigh if monthly price is better for you than yearly updater plan.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
crossgrade means you give up your perpetual license and subscribe as long as you need it. you need to weigh if monthly price is better for you than yearly updater plan.
Thanks for the info. I think that the $599 was for a separate Pro Tools First I got with the purchase of another production. So it would be $399 for me. This is my first subscription for Pro Tools. Man, Avid is seriously working us for the dough considering that for the same price you can buy Logic Pro and not have to deal with any of this.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:54 AM

I have been contemplating the same decision over the past few weeks.

When I look at the current rate if progress and what you get in return for the yearly fee, there's just no justification for me to keep up any more.

I believe I get largely the same result by just 'freezing' things as they are. We can see in a year or two whether Avid catches up. If not, well..

Whatever you do, don't give up your perpetual license.

What you could do, is buy any of the reinstatements left at dealers. As kind of an insurance policy.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:26 PM

I just went for it. Since Avids tech support has historically been questionable at best, I bought the subscription from the retailer I got my Pro Tools Ultimate from. At least I know I can get somebody on the phone if I have any technical issues. I guess the question is whether these little improvements in 2020.11 are worth 400 bucks or not. I was stuck frozen with PT 10 and A 2011 Mac Pro for quite some time up without the ability to upgrade until last December when I just threw it all out and got all new stuff. It’s kind of nice to have something new and shiny for a change.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:07 AM

My PT "Vanilla" Perpetual support/update plan expires at the end of the year. I've been leaning towards letting it go. But after seeing the performance data for Apple M1 on Geekbech, I thinking; next year: Avid comes with M1 compatible PT update, and I'm drooling for a M1 Mac Mini, and I don't have a update plan...

How much is that renewal again? 200 dollars?