Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2014, 07:43 PM

Default Anyone using a programmable keyboard?

I've been looking at the new version of the Hotkey Matrix, but I feel like the pricetag warrants looking at some DIY options.

From these two articles, I get the sense that anyone can basically make their own by purchasing a programmable Cherry keyboard:

-http://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/90/hotkey-matrix-144-key-controller-for-pro-tools/
-http://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/56/spos-g86-61410-qwerty-keyboard/

Anyone have any experience with this? Particularly on Windows and with PT11?

Thanks!

C.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Anyone using a programmable keyboard?

I'm doing voice and radio production. Personally, I prefer a programmable mouse for that, but I assume it depends on the type of work one does and one's workflow.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-24-2014, 11:50 AM

I don't have that model, but I use a Logitech G510 that is fully programmable, with a set of 18 macro keys. I haven't done much with them for Pro Tools, except assign the first six to recall memory locations.

Personally, I don't see the point of Hotkey Matrix. Instead of memorizing shortcuts, you have to memorize where they are on the matrix. It uses the same effort either way - and when you memorize the standard keyboard shortcuts instead, you can use anyone's system at the same speed without having to lug around an extra keyboard.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:31 PM

Well, I definitely think it will be more of a game changer to some people than others. But I don't agree with your statements.

First, I don't think that having to memorize and retain an endless array of random key combinations is the same as being able to look down at a matrix where the keys are all clearly labeled both in symbol and text-- not to mention color coded by category.

Second, as long as whatever system you're using has a USB connection-- you could always bring the hotkey matrix with you -- much the way engineers being they're own monitors, specific gear or other control surface. In fact I do this already with my qwerty keyboard. After all, even the standard shortcuts are not cross platform and someone who's muscle memory is PC will spend half a day totally lost on a Mac.

Personally, I love the idea of the Hot Key Matrix. And quite frankly if it was 80 bucks cheaper, I'd have one on its way to me already.

My workflow took a huge leap forward when I got one of the proprietary keyboards and truly took up keyboard focus mode. I feel like this is the next level of workflow improvement. Even with keyboard focus, there are still many many commands that require you to use multiple fingers of the same hand at once to execute a command. Things like group clips, waveform height, fit to screen, consolidate clips, etc, etc. any of the things where you have to hit CTRL SHIFT TAB OR ALT at the same time. Performing these multi-key commands every 15 seconds, for 8 hours a day, five days a week wreaks havoc on your body. Not to mention right-clicking constantly turn clip gain on and off.

Just the ease of having one button to switch back and forth between things like scrolling vs non scrolling and changing the grid value are very attractive to me from both a post and music production standpoint.

Again, it totally depends on how deeply you use the software.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:52 PM

You mentioned clicking to turn clip gain on and off... Ctrl-win-dash. See how knowing key commands is beneficial?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:23 AM

I feel ya brother. I feel ya.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I don't have that model, but I use a Logitech G510 that is fully programmable, with a set of 18 macro keys.
Logitech G510s together with shortcut stickers here as well. I use the 18 programmable keys on the right hand side for shortcuts that require multiple keys that I use frequently. For me, Cancel Recording (Ctrl+period) is one such command since I usually have a guitar or bass strapped on and am recording myself when I need to use it. In the heat of a creative moment, one finger is quicker than spreading my fingers to hit Ctrl and period at the same time. Preferences and track views (Comments, I/O, Inserts, etc.) are others.

Other than the few that I have programmed in to the 18 keys, I use the stock commands. Most of them become intuitive once you get to know them. I don't use PT every day, so some are harder for me to recall ... hence the Brother P-Touch labels all over the place. As a result of the labels, I know most of those ... I should probably peel the labels off!

Probably not for everybody, but it gets the job done for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0993.jpg (76.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-27-2014, 05:19 AM

Thanks for your replies, guys! I've got a Cherry Row and Columns keyboard on its way to me (same basic hardware as the matrix). I'm interested to see how involved the programming process is. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm excited to have a large number of the commands readily available because I think it will encourage me to incorporate new functions into my workflow. This certainly happened when I got my qwerty keyboard focus stickers.

Also, who doesn't like buttons?
Old 11-06-2016, 03:42 PM

Hi folks, I'm the developer of the Hotkey Matrix. Even though this thread is older, I thought I would make a few comments in case any comes across later.

In answer to some of the very on point questions and observations in this thread:

You can certainly create your own version of a shortcut keyboard along the lines of the Hotkey Matrix. That's in fact how I started down this road:)

If you enjoying tinkering, programming, and tweaking your own control systems, this is a very cool thing to do. I am also a heavy user of various software based macro systems, and find them to be invaluable in setting up custom work environments.

One thing you will find is that it is more involved than you might think at first. I've been evolving the Hotkey Matrix for over 10 years, originally as a controller we used in house. All of the experience, plus the feedback from users, is reflected in the latest version.

You can save yourself days, weeks, months of work by buying the Hotkey Matrix. You get to take advantage of the collective production experience that is embodied in the design.

Part of the consideration comes down to how you value your time, and what your interests are. When you compare the cost of the Hotkey Matrix to other pro audio products, I don't think you can find anything close to the price that will have such a material impact on the quality of your work.

As far as the question of if the functionality is really beneficial, I can assure you that the experience of working with an extended set of well chosen, organized, labeled, and color coded keys, is a vast improvement over the alternative.

The benefits of the Hotkey Matrix fall into several categories.

1. Discoverability- there are many Pro Tools commands which are only documented in the Shortcut User Guide. If you don't take the time to dig through this manual, the chances of discovering them are low.

2. Memorization- it is much faster and easier to memorize the location of a single, color coded key than to remember arbitrary combinations keys that involve 1,2,3, or even 4 modifier keys, plus the main key.

3. Ergonomics and Efficiency- The main focus of the Hotkey Matrix is to save steps in your workflow. That's why it has so many keys. When combined with the regular single key shortcuts on the main computer keyboard, you have over 180 powerful Pro Tools commands at your fingertips. Always on the top layer, always available. So you never have remember what "mode" you are in, or what page you need to swipe to.

In a single session, you can save thousands of unnecessary mouse clicks and keystrokes. Not only does this save steps, and time, there is another very important aspect of ergonomics to consider when using keyboard shortcuts that require modifier keys.

Using a command with a modifier key, or keys, requires putting your hand in a more strained position. With the kind of extreme repetition that is characteristic of audio production, the chance of unhealthy strain on muscles and tendons is increased with the using such shortcuts. Using a controller like the Hotkey Matrix that simplifies inputs and minimizes steps helps reduce wear and tear on the hands and lower arm.

IMO, the most significant benefit of using a comprehensive single key shortcut controller, is that it makes your workflow easier, and lowers the "cognitive load" required to operate the interface of Pro Tools. This facilitates entering into a state of creative flow, and minimizing the annoying distraction of having to repeat extraneous steps over and over.

We've also developed a new feature for the Hotkey Matrix, which allows for easy customization of the keys. You can learn more here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW0NnueokDc

Cheers! Brian
Old 01-06-2021, 04:54 AM

I am using Redragon K511 PRO RGB Gaming Keyboard Wired LED Backlit Programmable Macro Keyboard.