Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-28-2013, 12:52 PM

Default My trusty WinXP/Digi001 rig may finally be dead... what now?!

So I haven't chimed in for years, but I was a regular on these boards with a Digi001/WinXP/PTLE6.4 rig that was running rock solid for 10+ years.

I was dreading the day that my hard drive would probably crap out on me and I'd probably have to go and get with the times and move to a newer system since I don't even know if I could revive the old computer or if it would even be worth it (or if I'd even be able to find all the old plugins, etc.)

Any advice on where/how I could get back into it for a reasonable price? Does anyone still make turnkey PC packages like DAWBOX used to in the old days (what I was using before)? I think even if I tried to salvage all the plugins like I used to have (Waves Gold, Waves Ren, Oxford Inflator, Reason, etc.) won't I have to buy all new plugs since the old ones are obsolete?

I just really don't have the money to spend on a new rig like I did before when I was doing this much more (kids and stuff now).

Any recommendations?
Fitter, Happier Studios...
Old 07-28-2013, 03:39 PM

Default Re: My trusty WinXP/Digi001 rig may finally be dead... what now?!

Too late now, but drive imaging would have saved your bacon(buy a new drive and restore from the image...back to work). Wish I knew how to get everybody to pay attention to that RAIN, Sweetwater and ProToolsPC all make turnkey PC's for Pro Tools, but(great big BUT) you need to pick an interface. The good thing is, since PT9 came out, Pro Tools now works with almost ANY interface from any company. My recommendations include a used 003(great budget choice), Focusrite Saffire or RME. Windows 7 is the best OS option(at least for the moment). Pro Tools 10 rocks. Pro Tools 11 will, but for now, you have very limited options for plugins as not many have made the move to 64 bit AAX(and 11 does NOT support RTAS at all).

BTW, all of your old plugins will need updates. Waves is now at version 9(and 5 is not going to work). The good news is, Waves WUP update is not too expensive(and often gets you a coupon for discounts on some new goodies).

There is another route you might explore. Build a system of used parts that USED TO BE the hot setup. Specifically, search eBay for a cpu/mobo/RAM combo with an X58 mobo, an intel i7 950(or higher) and 6 or 12GB of triple-channel RAM. I have seen this package for under $500 used and that's the basis for a solid machine(add a couple of SATA drives, a 650 watt PSU and maybe re-use your old case and optical drive gets you going on a budget

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-28-2013, 03:42 PM

Default Re: My trusty WinXP/Digi001 rig may finally be dead... what now?!

Well I'm working with a friend and trying to diagnose if maybe its the RAM or OS that may be the cause of the issue. If that's the case (or I can image the disk from a bootable CD), I may still be able to save the drive.

Fingers crossed...
Fitter, Happier Studios...